Can 2 encrusting hydnophora touch each other?

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 close together and I know they are aggressive and can sting other corals. Will they sting each other or just merge into a garden?

126F96C4-4312-4F66-ADE9-F8D18C5DF43C.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, very interesting,appear to be same species,think at that distance could have already stung each other ;) observe close,keep us updated:):cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
War or peace? Generally life is a struggle for space on a reef and in a tank. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. RIght now I would bet the lighter one on the left side of the picture wins. The other one looks like it is already pulling back?

If the whitish coral behind them is still alive I'd move it now before they sting it completely out of the picture.

OP
OP
Reef_dachs

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I did move the birds nest away from there after the picture. The coral on the left is older so he his bigger. I just got the one on the right 4 days ago so he is smaller. It was just curious if the placement so close to each was ok. Perhaps I’ll distance them some more. I haven’t glued him down.

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great picture, but shows 3 growing together. JF Limelight, NTC Emerald City, and at the bottom a blue. The JF Limelight is growing so fast I need to trim him back a bit. The Emerald City and Limelight have actually fused together back-to-back where they touched.

A2569BDB-36EF-4AA0-9235-DA1D3F8035E7.jpeg
A2569BDB-36EF-4AA0-9235-DA1D3F8035E7.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef_dachs

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great! I know some don’t the aggressive nature but I love this coral. Mine flow so nicely and the color is great. Yours are wonderful. Perhaps mine will eventually do the same.

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great! I know some don’t the aggressive nature but I love this coral. Mine flow so nicely and the color is great. Yours are wonderful. Perhaps mine will eventually do the same.
Thank you! I love them too. The exesa tend to be less aggressive Unless they touch another species. I let a small band of hair algae grow at the top of the rock to keep the Limelight from growing over to the rock behind it. I have a pilosa down on the sand bed by a Goniopora. He leaves the Goni alone but will put out 8” sweeps and try to hit a mushroom that is/was a few inches away. He also attacked my Fox Flame and a Psammy - which is why he now lives on the sand bed.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 95 54.0%
  • NO

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 2.3%

Back