Can adding wave maker effect skimmer

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says my skimmer (nyos 120) been working fine for a couple of weeks after the break in period no real skim mate as it’s a new tank 300 litre with only a fire fish and a cardinal in but it’s been producing a nice foam right to the top of the neck. I added my first mp40 the day before yesterday and since then the level has dropped right to the top of the body with no foam at all. I haven’t adjusted the skimmer at all as I thought maybe it would work it’s way back up but after constantly checking for the past couple days it hasn’t raised at all. I was just wondering if adding the mp40 could effect it and I just need to adjust it again (which took a long time to get it right) or if I just leave it and it will actually get back to how it was

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that yes, but not harmfully. There may be some offloading of oils or mechanical lubricant's and so forth from the pump, but I suspect that is very minimal. You may also be encountering an uptick (from the increased flow) in organic and free floating detritus that is making its way up from the dead zones, and from the main tank into the sump, and into the skimmer. This would be a similar effect to when you feed the tank, and its foam decreases.

I am unsure of the right approach moving forwards right now. A part of me wants to say leave it be for another day, and see if it picks back up after this little break in & keep the hands out of the tank, and the other part of me says to give it a little turkey basting and wipe down. Do what makes you feel better and ultimately keeps it out of your head :p

Good luck!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that yes, but not harmfully. There may be some offloading of oils or mechanical lubricant's and so forth from the pump, but I suspect that is very minimal. You may also be encountering an uptick (from the increased flow) in organic and free floating detritus that is making its way up from the dead zones, and from the main tank into the sump, and into the skimmer. This would be a similar effect to when you feed the tank, and its foam decreases.

I am unsure of the right approach moving forwards right now. A part of me wants to say leave it be for another day, and see if it picks back up after this little break in & keep the hands out of the tank, and the other part of me says to give it a little turkey basting and wipe down. Do what makes you feel better and ultimately keeps it out of your head :p

Good luck!
Good point about about “oils”.

It does not take much material to kill foam formation. The “oil” could also be a mold release on the plastic parts of the pump.

OP
OP
S

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it must of had something to do the new mp40 cos it was within minutes of adding it to the tank that the foam level dropped straight down. I’m gonna leave the skimmer set at what it was and not mess around with it. The oils is a great idea hopefully in a few days it will be back to what it was

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back