Can anybody identify these?

tfford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3159.jpg

Hey reefers, this is my first post. Have been reading a lot and what great information on this site.

Anyway, I'm not new to the hobby albeit a 35 year break in last tanks and now and HOW has the hobby changed over the years, at least in terms of equipment. There was no such thing as a sump 35 years ago and we didn't do reef tanks. Either had fish tank, or invertabrate tank, or both.

My new tank is literally just that, new, it's only been setup for about 70 days and everyhing is going well but I just found these reddish brown things on the rock under my toadstool which I would say have appeared only within the last two weeks (guessing somewhat here) and I have no idea what they are. Don't know whether to take the rock and toadstool out (fortunately rock isn't glued in place) and try to rid myself of them or not. And also having now just taken this picture I notice a bunch of white hair/worm looking things.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and later.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3159.jpg

Hey reefers, this is my first post. Have been reading a lot and what great information on this site.

Anyway, I'm not new to the hobby albeit a 35 year break in last tanks and now and HOW has the hobby changed over the years, at least in terms of equipment. There was no such thing as a sump 35 years ago and we didn't do reef tanks. Either had fish tank, or invertabrate tank, or both.

My new tank is literally just that, new, it's only been setup for about 70 days and everyhing is going well but I just found these reddish brown things on the rock under my toadstool which I would say have appeared only within the last two weeks (guessing somewhat here) and I have no idea what they are. Don't know whether to take the rock and toadstool out (fortunately rock isn't glued in place) and try to rid myself of them or not. And also having now just taken this picture I notice a bunch of white hair/worm looking things.

Thanks and later.
I can't identify shape clearly, but would begin researching flat worms just in case. If you remove a few your id could be made much easier. This guide might be of help: https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3159.jpg

Thanks and later.

If you are talking about the spiral tubes they are vermetid snails. I would take tweezers or something sharp and scrape the entire structure off.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to a hitchhiker article here on R2R that I keep going back to. It has handy information. It helps you determine what is in the tank and then you can research how to get rid of them -- or if you need to. Hitchhiker Guide

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back