Can anyone confirm what this is

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tangs and morish idol have been in QT for roughly 3 weeks. The tangs came with a slight case of HLLE but that has healed nicely and so copper was increased to 1.85 and kept there for 14 days. They were fed a mix of spirulina, mysis, brine, clams, dry food mixed with selcon and GC + Focus during copper treatment. Day 15, fish were moved to a new tank (sterile). 48 hours after the move, I noticed some lymphocystis on the idols fins. No big deal, decided to move ahead with GC for deworming.

48 hours after beginning the first dose of GC (1 packet per 10 gallons, wait 5-7 days) I noticed this evening the idol was shaking its head as if it was bothering by something... I took a closer look and he seems to be powdered again. I normally would guess Ick, but if anyone followed my other thread-

Is this ICH again?!
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Is-this-ICH-again?!.521812/)
I’m now second guessing it. I don’t have a picture of the fish because the lights are out but I did take a scrape and threw the results under the microscope. After a few minutes of searching around, I found a group of these (maybe 15 or so) but focused on this one here... is it something to concern myself with?

@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

Thanks!

Sage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest ive never seen parasites under a microscope only on fish sorry a picture of the fish tomorrow may be a little more helpful.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tangs and morish idol have been in QT for roughly 3 weeks. The tangs came with a slight case of HLLE but that has healed nicely and so copper was increased to 1.85 and kept there for 14 days. They were fed a mix of spirulina, mysis, brine, clams, dry food mixed with selcon and GC + Focus during copper treatment. Day 15, fish were moved to a new tank (sterile). 48 hours after the move, I noticed some lymphocystis on the idols fins. No big deal, decided to move ahead with GC for deworming.

48 hours after beginning the first dose of GC (1 packet per 10 gallons, wait 5-7 days) I noticed this evening the idol was shaking its head as if it was bothering by something... I took a closer look and he seems to be powdered again. I normally would guess Ick, but if anyone followed my other thread-

Is this ICH again?!
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Is-this-ICH-again?!.521812/)
I’m now second guessing it. I don’t have a picture of the fish because the lights are out but I did take a scrape and threw the results under the microscope. After a few minutes of searching around, I found a group of these (maybe 15 or so) but focused on this one here... is it something to concern myself with?

@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

Thanks!

Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news... That sure looks like ich to me.

Here is a pic of crypto under a scope:
ich-150x150.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news... That sure looks like ich to me.

Here is a pic of crypto under a scope:
ich-150x150.jpg

I was afraid of that. Agh. I think I screwed up. I just realized that I used the same pipette to feed I was using during copper. Newbie mistake. Agh. So frustrating.

I’m planning on finishing the deworming on Friday and then 48 later do another copper treatment.

Do you think it’s safe to start raising the copper to 1.0 now? Then a second treatment of GC and start raising copper to 1.80. This way, I can finish the deworming and start on another 14 days of copper. What to you think?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of that. Agh. I think I screwed up. I just realized that I used the same pipette to feed I was using during copper. Newbie mistake. Agh. So frustrating.

I’m planning on finishing the deworming on Friday and then 48 later do another copper treatment.

Do you think it’s safe to start raising the copper to 1.0 now? Then a second treatment of GC and start raising copper to 1.80. This way, I can finish the deworming and start on another 14 days of copper. What to you think?
Unfortunately that's all it takes.

I am a freak. I go as far as keeping even separate food containers for QT/observation/DT.

You can start the copper in conjunction with GC. GC is the only med in the QT currently right? I just dosed GC in a copper tank this am for an idol with flukes.

Make sure you have plenty of oxygen exchange. Do you run a wavemaker aimed upward to break the surface? Airstone?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am a freak. I go as far as keeping even separate food containers for QT/observation/DT.

You can start the copper in conjunction with GC. GC is the only med in the QT currently right? I just dosed GC in a copper tank this am for an idol with flukes.

Yea GC is the only med

Believe it or not, I too have separate food containers! It’s just been a habit the last two weeks since my idol likes eating right out of the pipette so beat the purple tangs to it! Lol. Agh. I totally forgot. I’ll start tomorrow.

Keep me in the loop about your idol, mine has been doing great and eating like a pig!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure you have plenty of oxygen exchange. Do you run a wavemaker aimed upward to break the surface? Airstone?

I currently do not. My HOB filter is extremely oversized and moves a ton of water breaking the surface but I can certainly add an air stone to help

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not. My HOB filter is extremely oversized and moves a ton of water breaking the surface but I can certainly add an air stone to help
The wavemaker is more important than the airstone IMO.

Even a spare you have laying around or a 10 dollar cheapy from Amazon. I think it plays a large role in the success of combining meds.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wavemaker is more important than the airstone IMO.

Even a spare you have laying around or a 10 dollar cheapy from Amazon. I think it plays a large role in the success of combining meds.

Doctors orders. I’ll pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Paul

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, nice justification.

Related Q- is a gyre 250 too much for a 10g?
I would say on low, it would pin em to the glass... If it even fit in the tank. Lol

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say on low, it would pin em to the glass... If it even fit in the tank. Lol

Dudes, your supposed to be my alibi for buying a new gyre head.

If my wife asks, I’ll say HotRocks and Dubs83 said I need it for o2 exchange during medicating .

So- yes, right?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dudes, your supposed to be my alibi for buying a new gyre head.

If my wife asks, I’ll say HotRocks and Dubs83 said I need it for o2 exchange during medicating .

So- yes, right?
Oh in the case of solely considering oxygenation, you probably need a pair with the controller. :) :eek:

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey quick Q. I picked up a black sailfin blenny (fuscus blenny) since I’m resetting the QT somewhat. Any harm in doing 3 GC treatments? (3 for the PTs / Idol and 2 for the blenny). They’d be in the same QT with the tangs and idol already getting one treatment.

Picked up a power head today and got Copper to 1.10. Will raise it over the next two days. Water change tomorrow followed by 2nd GC treatment for tangs/idol and it would be first treatment for blenny.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back