Can Anyone Id and Confirm These Please

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
After abit of reading I am concerned that I may have a vertimide snail...I have seen a couple of stringy bits here and there and have just notice this "growing" out of what I think is a sponge. It seems to have caught a bit of food in its "silk" and I was wonder if this is a snail or the sponge feeding. Whilst I have you attention I also have what appears to me like cabbage/lettuce and another that is fern like...I put in live rock direc from the ocean and now after 6 weeks all sorts of things are poking their heads up...Appreciate the help cheers IMG_5166.jpg IMG_5170.jpg IMG_5164.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5160.MOV
    1.3 MB

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would greatly help if you could circle what you are interested in. That said, all I can make out is a sponge on left hand pic and, perhaps, bryopsis algae on the bottom right pic.

I would also guess vermetid snail from your description and you can simply break off at the base or control through reduced feeding.

Great looking rock, btw

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would greatly help if you could circle what you are interested in. That said, all I can make out is a sponge on left hand pic and, perhaps, bryopsis algae on the bottom right pic.

I would also guess vermetid snail from your description and you can simply break off at the base or control through reduced feeding.

Great looking rock, btw
Hi I have loaded another pic with a circle around the thing in question. the small bit to the left is attached by a sticky thread and the tube thing is coming out of the sponge..is the tube thing part of the sponge?? Now you know what I am quering does the video help as you can see it better cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5170.jpg
    IMG_5170.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 16

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Ulva (Sea lettuce), or a similar algae in the family Ulvaceae. These grow well in high nutrient environments and are nutritious for herbivores like tangs. Ulva is becoming increasingly popular in refugiums.
2. Sponge. These are generally harmless filter-feeders and a sign of a healthy tank ecosystem. Rarely, they can go invasive, and other have recommended injecting them with air, boiling water, or hydrogen peroxide if they ever grow out of hand.
white sponge is a pineapple sponge
I don't think it's a pineapple sponge (Sycon sp.) since these are more elongated, rather than bulbous.
3. Bryopsis, a pest algae. I have never had this macroalgae, though it is said to be very hard to eradicate:
https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Hi I have loaded another pic with a circle around the thing in question. the small bit to the left is attached by a sticky thread and the tube thing is coming out of the sponge..is the tube thing part of the sponge?? Now you know what I am quering does the video help as you can see it better cheers
The thread does show up in the video attachment pretty well. I don't think it originated from the sponge, which are not known to cast these mucus threads, though the tube (osculum) is part of the sponge. My guess is that there is a vermetid snail somewhere off-screen producing the mucus near the sponge.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Ulva (Sea lettuce), or a similar algae in the family Ulvaceae. These grow well in high nutrient environments and are nutritious for herbivores like tangs. Ulva is becoming increasingly popular in refugiums.
2. Sponge. These are generally harmless filter-feeders and a sign of a healthy tank ecosystem. Rarely, they can go invasive, and other have recommended injecting them with air, boiling water, or hydrogen peroxide if they ever grow out of hand.

I don't think it's a pineapple sponge (Sycon sp.) since these are more elongated, rather than bulbous.
3. Bryopsis, a pest algae. I have never had this macroalgae, though it is said to be very hard to eradicate:
https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

The thread does show up in the video attachment pretty well. I don't think it originated from the sponge, which are not known to cast these mucus threads, though the tube (osculum) is part of the sponge. My guess is that there is a vermetid snail somewhere off-screen producing the mucus near the sponge.
thx I have just been reading up on the bryopsis treatment.....looks like I have a battle ahead of me...cheers for the help

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKi I am off to the Apotik tomorrow to buy Fluconazole and shall dose at 20mg/gal...I think this is the only patch I have...do you ppl recommend not to disturb it and just treat it... I have just read that if you touch/brush /break it it can spread very easily..
I am assuming it will come in a table form do I just crush and disolve in water then add

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

found this ...fingers crossed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back