Can anyone identify coral from its skeleton?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love goniopora!
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2024
Messages
7,697
Reaction score
38,372
Location
East Coast
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone!

A few years back, I went on a trip to the Everglades in Florida. Just north of the Everglades, I found 2 pieces of washed up coral.

Now that I have a tank with coral, I thought it would be cool to know what corals these once were, if it's possible. TIA!

17117266059066267637009836690863.jpg


1711726644939720103648229429758.jpg
 
I'm not great at coral IDing but I had an Alveopora skeleton that looked similar.
 
My guess is that it is either a star coral or starlet coral

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/southflorida/habitats/corals/species-profiles/
Stony coral from the area is typically illegal to collect. However if you purchase live rock that has been cultured in thegulf or the keys then there is a chance that you will get some on the rock and that is legal.
Even if it was washed up?

I went with a tour guide to a beach with tons of shells and stuff like this, with tons of other groups picking up stuff, and the tour guide said it was fine to keep because it was already dead and washed up.
 
Even if it was washed up?

I went with a tour guide to a beach with tons of shells and stuff like this, with tons of other groups picking up stuff, and the tour guide said it was fine to keep because it was already dead and washed up.
if it is washed up and bleached you are ok I think but I do not know the specific rules regarding that. I was referring to live stony coral sorry for any confusion.
 
It's not going to be anything found in the hobby, so no Alveopora, Goniopora, or anything like that. Alveopora and Goniopora are also cerioid-ish, not plocoid, and don't have a coenosteum. This coral is likely a Montastraea cavernosa; my next best guess would be Solenastrea.
 
What about this bad boy? ID? I've had him for a good 30 yrs and am contemplating adding him to an aquascape. He's a good 12+ inches.
IMG_4402.jpeg
 
What about this bad boy? ID? I've had him for a good 30 yrs and am contemplating adding him to an aquascape. He's a good 12+ inches.
IMG_4402.jpeg
Where was this collected? Doesn't look like anything from Florida.
It looks to be Isopora cf palifera.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new