Can Bean Animal plumbing be too big?

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

As per the title, is it possible for the plumbing on a Bean Animal drain to be too big? I'm probably only going to be running 200-300gph through it.
Before it gets asked, yes I'm definitely going to run a Bean despite the low flow.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about too big, but definitely can be over kill. At 200-300 gallons per hour, regular 1" PVC would more than be able to handle that. If you were to jump up to say 1 1/2 or even 2 inch, that would be overkill, and more expensive for parts (pipe itself, gate valves, ball valves ect..)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
As per the title, is it possible for the plumbing on a Bean Animal drain to be too big? I'm probably only going to be running 200-300gph through it.
Before it gets asked, yes I'm definitely going to run a Bean despite the low flow.

The only issue you might have is not enough flow to purge the air in a large pipe. If air gets trapped it will still work. Just might be a bit noisey.

OP
OP
OllieNZ

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers all,
I was thinking of going for 3/4" over 1", too small? I won't need room to expand, if anything I'll end up throttling the pump back to get the desired flow through the sump.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, you have to have enough flow to purge the air, so it is possible to get too big.

I would go 1" for the wet secondary/durso pipe. The size of that pipe determines what range of flows your system can handle without gurgling and a ¾" pipe can flow precious little in that capacity, making it more difficult to keep the system tuned.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back