Can BTAs Survive on Photosynthesis alone for 2 weeks? Vacation question.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small RTBA, about 3.5 inches, a few months ago. We have a vacation approaching and I'm wondering if anything needs to be done specially for BTAs in regards to vacation. My fish will be fed via auto-feeder. ATO will replenish the evaporated water. Controller will handle the lights and if needed the pump, skimmer, heater and powerheads. Battery-backup on the MP40 in place. Can the BTA sustain itself on photosynthesis for the 2 weeks we'll be gone? Thanks.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be ok. Feeding it well two or three days prior to going on vacation wouldn't be such a bad idea though. There's always a chance that it will snag whatever your offering in that auto feeder too. GL.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed before you go, in fact, I only feed them every 2 weeks

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed my anemones intentionally. Ever.

I had to stop ditectly feeding mine. I did when I first got one RBTA and then it split. So, then I reduced to feeding once a week and then it split. I then reduced to feeding once every two weekz and then it split. Figured then I would just feed once a month and then it split.

I now have 9 RBTAs from the single one I bought. They now just feed on the lights and what every they eat as I broadcast feed. 4x per day my automatic feeder drops in some pellets. Then 2x to 3x per day I dump in some meaty food. 2-3 sheets of nori that get shredded up. And finally fish poo constantly.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had to stop ditectly feeding mine. I did when I first got one RBTA and then it split. So, then I reduced to feeding once a week and then it split. I then reduced to feeding once every two weekz and then it split. Figured then I would just feed once a month and then it split.

I now have 9 RBTAs from the single one I bought. They now just feed on the lights and what every they eat as I broadcast feed. 4x per day my automatic feeder drops in some pellets. Then 2x to 3x per day I dump in some meaty food. 2-3 sheets of nori that get shredded up. And finally fish poo constantly.

The anemone I have now has been with me more than 18 years. It grows as big as 24" across, splits and grows, and splits and grows.
I have given several away, sold a bunch more.
It gets plenty of food when I feed the fish, but I don't add anything specifically for the anemone.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool. Mine are starting to get bigger now. They would split the day after I fed them every time.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back