Can certain Rocks supply trace elements?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious if there is a certain rock we could add to the tank, or a pebble of it, to slowly release trace elements like iron, maganese and zinc.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont really know the answer, but think the issue would be you have no control over how fast and slow they are released. You can buy artificial blocks that gradually release trace elements...but again the issue is you cant control the speed.

The only exception i know of is the common calcium reactor which essentially does just that....and you can control how fast the "rocks"(coral skeleton/etc) break down

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not in a way that was predictable, controllable and safe. Maybe certain minerals themselves, that’s a little more plausible. But if you mean actual rocks, then they won’t have a uniform mineral content from rock to rock, then you’re just guessing how much iron is in this rock compared to that one.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont really know the answer, but think the issue would be you have no control over how fast and slow they are released. You can buy artificial blocks that gradually release trace elements...but again the issue is you cant control the speed.

The only exception i know of is the common calcium reactor which essentially does just that....and you can control how fast the "rocks"(coral skeleton/etc) break down
What if we soaked it in saltwater for a while. Eventually it would reach a slow release state after most quick reactions occured. Randy did an experiment with silica sand showing it does slowly release silicate and more quicker when its stirred. Maybe this is doable with the right rock.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the ocean having all different rocks connected to it. So it gets all minerals from that. So is it bad that we dont consider having other rocks instead of calcium based rocks in our tanks?

Lava rock is known to be safe and could provide iron in trace quantities. Iirc thats where the brown comes from. But limestone and aragonite seem to be almost devoid of iron.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dissolve coral skeleton in a calcium reactor, you will release exactly the trace elements that were incorporated into the coral skeleton as it grew.
which is kinda close to what you are suggesting.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dissolve coral skeleton in a calcium reactor, you will release exactly the trace elements that were incorporated into the coral skeleton as it grew.
which is kinda close to what you are suggesting.
I might get one. Any suggestions on a reactor? Is it even worth the cost?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might get one. Any suggestions on a reactor? Is it even worth the cost?

Just remember that this isn't a panacea for trace elements because it does nothing for trace elements taken up by tissues in hard and soft corals, macroalgae, etc. For some elements, such as iron and manganese, coral skeletons are not likely the main sink.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that this isn't a panacea for trace elements because it does nothing for trace elements taken up by tissues in hard and soft corals, macroalgae, etc. For some elements, such as iron and manganese, coral skeletons are not likely the main sink.
Thats a good point. Probably not worth it over limewater then. Maybe some sort of trace element mix on dosing pump. Do you think its necessary to dose any other trace elements other than iron and maganese?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good point. Probably not worth it over limewater then. Maybe some sort of trace element mix on dosing pump. Do you think its necessary to dose any other trace elements other than iron and maganese?

I definetely think it is worth it in a tank that requires significant dosing already. Randy made a good point that it does not supply everything that may be needed, but that does not mean it is not an easy and efficient way to supply a whole lot of what is needed.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back