Can Coral Adapt?

Can most coral adapt to deviations in recommended tank parameters?

• No, coral are very sensitive, and must be kept in a tight range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely know my answer to this, but I'd like to see what you all think. This is a poll on general coral in the hobby, not specific coral in the ocean.
In the hobby, if done in enough time coral can definitely adapt! It’s like fish, they will adapt if given time which is why I never understand people worrying about High Flow on common hobby fish.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"within reason" is rather arbitrary and will be interpreted differently by different people. Corals are quite resilient and will tolerate a range of conditions but to thrive they need fairly specific conditions, so the answer is that both options are correct, from a certain point of view.

star_wars6_movie_screencaps.com_5445.0.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"within reason" is rather arbitrary and will be interpreted differently by different people. Corals are quite resilient and will tolerate a range of conditions but to thrive they need fairly specific conditions, so the answer is that both options are correct, from a certain point of view.

star_wars6_movie_screencaps.com_5445.0.jpg
Also depends on what corals you are talking about.

I had some easy Montis survive in my tank, one even came back from ten tiny polyps and started to branch, I had a big alk drop, it died back, there are still some polyps where it encrusted, but I have little faith that it will thrive.

I'm sticking to lps and softies.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends on what corals you are talking about.

I had some easy Montis survive in my tank, one even came back from ten tiny polyps and started to branch, I had a big alk drop, it died back, there are still some polyps where it encrusted, but I have little faith that it will thrive.

I'm sticking to lps and softies.
I would say it applies to all corals, the part that changes is how you define "within reason". For example even the most sensitive corals have some tolerance for varying salinity, nutrient levels, alk, etc.

Back