Can corals touch each other?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an LPS dominant tank but I would like to purchase green star polyps and place them around the tank to fill crevices.

Can corals touch each other? Will GSP kill corals? How can I fill my large tank with corals and make it look compacted like a reef?

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which corals. Usually the same species can touch. GSP can touch most softies from my experience, but I would not put it near my LPS. I also wouldn’t want to have it grow over anything and be fighting to remove it from rock later. They can grow over other coral if they aren’t being stung back... and if they are you’re having some warfare in your tank. Don’t let it touch your LPS.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted pictures of my tank (plus a fish photo for fun). I wanted to make the smaller arch fully covered with the GSP. I don't have any corals there, but there is a pavona sps coral on the bottom of the arch.

IMG_8649.JPG
IMG_8669.JPG
IMG_8694.JPG
IMG_8712.JPG
IMG_8713.JPG
IMG_8723.JPG
IMG_8668.JPG

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank, absolutely love your rock work. I love gsp too! GSP grows really fast in comparison to some corals, though. My concern with your setup would be trying to keep them in balance. The gsp would quickly fill in and begin to encroach on your other coral. If you want to do the smaller arch, you could remove any coral it may grow onto, but the gsp will keep going, and going, as long as there is fresh rock to move onto. Try some islands maybe, so you don’t have to worry about it over growing or removing it later. Or possibly the back wall?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back