OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hearing" might be a relative thing in regards to fish but I agree... Yes.

I'll never EVER forget hearing humpback whales singing while scuba diving in Hawaii, sounds waves carry an amazing distance underwater.

Tim
Whales are mammals. Hearing comes standard on those models ;)

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to classify what they do since they lack the neural structures to perceive sound the way you and I do. The same way that do not experience fear, but exhibit a response to stimuli.

I think it would be super cool if we could play reef sounds while aclimating a fish to see if it could help reduce the stress reponse

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they chose to make their “dead reef” instead of using one of the many real dead reefs? Was it only to make sure they were close enough to a live reef?

I’m also curious how many of those animals would stay long term. It said there was a 50% increase and that they stuck around longer but if they were only drawn there because they heard the sound of food; what happens when they don’t find it. Either they find it (because their prey was also drawn by the sound), they don’t find it and leave, or the don’t find it and die from starvation.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought it was a neat concept. I dont give many opinions based on knowledge. As I find myself in the shallow end of the pool when it comes to reefing. There are much more qualified individuals around to touch base on the subject. ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back