Can fish "HEAR" a reef?

"Hearing" might be a relative thing in regards to fish but I agree... Yes.

I'll never EVER forget hearing humpback whales singing while scuba diving in Hawaii, sounds waves carry an amazing distance underwater.

Tim
Whales are mammals. Hearing comes standard on those models ;)
 
I'm not sure how to classify what they do since they lack the neural structures to perceive sound the way you and I do. The same way that do not experience fear, but exhibit a response to stimuli.

I think it would be super cool if we could play reef sounds while aclimating a fish to see if it could help reduce the stress reponse
 
I wonder why they chose to make their “dead reef” instead of using one of the many real dead reefs? Was it only to make sure they were close enough to a live reef?

I’m also curious how many of those animals would stay long term. It said there was a 50% increase and that they stuck around longer but if they were only drawn there because they heard the sound of food; what happens when they don’t find it. Either they find it (because their prey was also drawn by the sound), they don’t find it and leave, or the don’t find it and die from starvation.
 
Just thought it was a neat concept. I dont give many opinions based on knowledge. As I find myself in the shallow end of the pool when it comes to reefing. There are much more qualified individuals around to touch base on the subject. ;)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new