Can I add a Cleaner Shrimp or Fire Shrimp and a Tiger Conch to my 20 cube Waterbox maybe a 5th fish?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have a waterbox 20 cube that is about 5 months old and heres my current stock list. Everything is healthy and happy. I am getting some red algae at the bottom of the tank sometimes. perhaps Ill had a Tiger conch soon. I was also thinking of adding a skunk cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp in a few months. My question is would that make it too crowded for my tank? I know my tank is pretty stocked...though some people say i can still had another fish..which im very hesitant on. The only fish I would consider is a green or yellow clown goby...but I don't know how that would be with the gramma in there. The gramma seems to enjoy the rock work.
I was doing bi-weekly water changes 20 percent but now im thinking every week 10 percent water changes. Let me know pros/cons on a cleaner shrimp, a tiger conch snail, and maybe a goby. Thank you

-2 scarlet hermits
-2 blue legged hermits
-4 trochus snails
-2 cerith snails
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 baggai cardinal

corals
-teal tip frogspawn
-purple tip frogspawn
-neon green hammer
-candy cane
-fox
-acan
-duncan
-orange mushrooms
-green and orange ricordeas
=gsp
-pulsing xenia

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have a waterbox 20 cube that is about 5 months old and heres my current stock list. Everything is healthy and happy. I am getting some red algae at the bottom of the tank sometimes. perhaps Ill had a Tiger conch soon. I was also thinking of adding a skunk cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp in a few months. My question is would that make it too crowded for my tank? I know my tank is pretty stocked...though some people say i can still had another fish..which im very hesitant on. The only fish I would consider is a green or yellow clown goby...but I don't know how that would be with the gramma in there. The gramma seems to enjoy the rock work.
I was doing bi-weekly water changes 20 percent but now im thinking every week 10 percent water changes. Let me know pros/cons on a cleaner shrimp, a tiger conch snail, and maybe a goby. Thank you

-2 scarlet hermits
-2 blue legged hermits
-4 trochus snails
-2 cerith snails
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 baggai cardinal

corals
-teal tip frogspawn
-purple tip frogspawn
-neon green hammer
-candy cane
-fox
-acan
-duncan
-orange mushrooms
-green and orange ricordeas
=gsp
-pulsing xenia
It’s the same for me and every lfs around me says if I add a skimmer it’s definitely possible to add another fish.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp fine. Red ones hide a lot, only comes out when fed.
Like to steal others food and bug corals at times, but otherwise, not a problem inhabitant.
The tiger sand conch is also fine if you have sand of course.
Fish are always hit and miss.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp fine. Red ones hide a lot, only comes out when fed.
Like to steal others food and bug corals at times, but otherwise, not a problem inhabitant.
The tiger sand conch is also fine if you have sand of course.
Fish are always hit and miss.
Is the red one more aggressive? It looks bigger then the skunk shrimp but it could just be the all red body that makes it appear big. Ill probably consider getting a small one.
Yes, I do have sand in my tank =) I am for sure getting a tiger conch.
Ill really have to think about the small goby. Thank you

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you planning on 1 more fish? or keep it safe with 4?
what do you have as cuc? thanks!
I’m probably gonna stay with 4 until I get a skimmer or get a cleaner goby because they are super small. For CUC I have 8 assorted snails, 5 blue hermit crabs, a conch, and a sand sifting star. I had a cleaner shrimp but it died out of nowhere.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably gonna stay with 4 until I get a skimmer or get a cleaner goby because they are super small. For CUC I have 8 assorted snails, 5 blue hermit crabs, a conch, and a sand sifting star. I had a cleaner shrimp but it died out of nowhere.
thanks for your reply!
last few questions!
How old is your tank? How often do you do water changes? Would you plan on getting another shrimp?

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your reply!
last few questions!
How old is your tank? How often do you do water changes? Would you plan on getting another shrimp?
No problem. My tank is around the same as yours. I started out in September last year with it. I do weekly 2-3 gallon water changes. And I might get another cleaner shrimp or maybe a coral banded but I don’t know if coral banded shrimp go after coral or not so I’m doing research on that.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. My tank is around the same as yours. I started out in September last year with it. I do weekly 2-3 gallon water changes. And I might get another cleaner shrimp or maybe a coral banded but I don’t know if coral banded shrimp go after coral or not so I’m doing research on that
Nice! Yea I looked into coral banded shrimp too..i think the yellow one was considered to be more friendlier. By chance you have a list of corals in your tank? or a build thread?

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yea I looked into coral banded shrimp too..i think the yellow one was considered to be more friendlier. By chance you have a list of corals in your tank? or a build thread?
1. Kenya Tree
2. 3 zoas for a zoa garden
3. Duncan
4. Favites
5. Favia
6. Lepto
7. Blasto
8. Lithophyllon
9. Frogspawn
10. Birdsnest
11. Acro
I have one more sps that I don’t know the name of as well.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red algae is actually cyano bacteria usually from having to low of nutrients. From the description you gave about your tank there is no reason not to add 1 of each to your tank.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red algae is actually cyano bacteria usually from having to low of nutrients. From the description you gave about your tank there is no reason not to add 1 of each to your tank.
Thank you! I just don't know if I should add both same time? or one at a time. so tank catches up with bioload.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Kenya Tree
2. 3 zoas for a zoa garden
3. Duncan
4. Favites
5. Favia
6. Lepto
7. Blasto
8. Lithophyllon
9. Frogspawn
10. Birdsnest
11. Acro
I have one more sps that I don’t know the name of as well.
Nice list of corals!
Im still considering a blasto and a toadstool leather to finish up my coral collecting lol.
Maybe SPS later this year...just seeing how I do with my other corals first =)

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list of corals!
Im still considering a blasto and a toadstool leather to finish up my coral collecting lol.
Maybe SPS later this year...just seeing how I do with my other corals first =)
Thanks that sounds good I just got some sps cheap from some sales so that’s why I got them. I’m more into eupheyllia and softies right now cause I want more movement in the tank.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 20 waterbox, IMO 3 fish is more than enough for a 20 gallon. With little rockwork we can fit in it, fish will outgrow the tank in no time, causing more stress. Also if you plan on adding corals, I would make sure your lights par is strong enough, and make sure you have plenty of live rock for the gramma and the cardinal to hide. As for the shrimp situation, there will always be a shrimp that’s known too “not pick at corals” but in reality it’s nature, it’s bound to happen at one point. Had a cleaner shrimp not pick for 8 months died after a nuked my system on accident. Restarted got another one, in 3 days it killed my button scoly. Then proceeded to kill my acan. IMO, I will never get another shrimp, I am going to stick with gobys.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that sounds good I just got some sps cheap from some sales so that’s why I got them. I’m more into eupheyllia and softies right now cause I want more movement in the tank.
Yea, im fine with softies and eupheyllia! This is my first saltwater tank so not trying to go sps just yet. I just enjoy buying everytime I go to a LFS but I know i shouldn't and just let my reef grow!

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 20 waterbox, IMO 3 fish is more than enough for a 20 gallon. With little rockwork we can fit in it, fish will outgrow the tank in no time, causing more stress. Also if you plan on adding corals, I would make sure your lights par is strong enough, and make sure you have plenty of live rock for the gramma and the cardinal to hide. As for the shrimp situation, there will always be a shrimp that’s known too “not pick at corals” but in reality it’s nature, it’s bound to happen at one point. Had a cleaner shrimp not pick for 8 months died after a nuked my system on accident. Restarted got another one, in 3 days it killed my button scoly. Then proceeded to kill my acan. IMO, I will never get another shrimp, I am going to stick with gobys.
Thank you for your response. I will keep my fish at 4 since I already have them. That is why I am always debating on a fire or skunk cleaner shrimp. I also don't want the shrimp to choose the spot where the gramma is and stress it out? not sure if the gramma would be stressed out if a shrimp is always near it? Right now he seems happy having all the rock work to himself swimming in and out and hovering in the middle of the tank. The cardinal hangs in the back or side of the tank. The clowns usually just swim everywhere.
For sure I want a tiger conch to help with cyano. The shrimp is just something Ill have to think about!

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, im fine with softies and eupheyllia! This is my first saltwater tank so not trying to go sps just yet. I just enjoy buying everytime I go to a LFS but I know i shouldn't and just let my reef grow!
Yeah I’m the same when I go to my LFS. Good luck with your tank I hope it turns out great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back