Can I clean my new tank with tap water?

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question. In fact im pretty sure I already know the answer but better safe than sorry. I just bought my first saltwater 45 gal tank (whoo hoo), with the whole shebang (pumps, skimmer, circ ect.). Ill be posting a tank progress forum soon once I kick things into gear. Anyway, the tank has a bunch of build up of salt (im assuming) and some water marks around the edge. Tubing has some build up as well but it honestly looks suprisingly clean. Same goes for some of the equiment. I know the tank will inevidably get the build up eventually but I want to start out clean. Can I clean the tank with tap water from a hose? Ill dry the tank and everything and afterwards fill it with RO/DI water. I may be overthinking things but I just want to make sure I have a good start to this tank and dont screw something minor up.

Also I have an Vortech MP10 that came with it but its got some build up on it as well, I heard cleaning it with vinegar is a good idea...is this true? In fact is this true for the tank in its entirety? And if so what should the vinegar never come in contact with if anything? Thanks!

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question. In fact im pretty sure I already know the answer but better safe than sorry. I just bought my first saltwater 45 gal tank (whoo hoo), with the whole shebang (pumps, skimmer, circ ect.). Ill be posting a tank progress forum soon once I kick things into gear. Anyway, the tank has a bunch of build up of salt (im assuming) and some water marks around the edge. Tubing has some build up as well but it honestly looks suprisingly clean. Same goes for some of the equiment. I know the tank will inevidably get the build up eventually but I want to start out clean. Can I clean the tank with tap water from a hose? Ill dry the tank and everything and afterwards fill it with RO/DI water. I may be overthinking things but I just want to make sure I have a good start to this tank and dont screw something minor up.

Also I have an Vortech MP10 that came with it but its got some build up on it as well, I heard cleaning it with vinegar is a good idea...is this true? In fact is this true for the tank in its entirety? And if so what should the vinegar never come in contact with if anything? Thanks!
you’ll be fine. vinegar should do the job, if you are still feeling skeptical rub a damp RODI towel over whatever surface you clean out. cheers!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back