can i Coral RX these Corals? please advice

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slowly ill be bringing in my corals into the my new tank have a few corals i want to bring in hopefully not killing them using coral RX dip small list of stuff i currently have, Red Acan, Toadstool, Duncan whisker, rasta zoas, few other zoas , palythoas , Xenias, Hammer Coral, pretty sure thats about it are all these possible to dip in this stuff, also whats the recommended useage should i follow what the bottle says or alittle less? major goal is to remove all Bristle worms, all Vermitd snails and what ever lurks in those those Plugs ill be removing the plugs off them and putting everything onto new plugs any recommendations " yes i know everyone loves bristles" i clearly dont want those demons in my tank

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bristle worms.
Use a turkey baster plus dip gently blow the corals. For vermitids remove and replace the plug and visually inspect the coral itself small screwdrive can remove any you see.
Both can survive dips especially the snails ime

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bristle worms.
Use a turkey baster plus dip gently blow the corals. For vermitids remove and replace the plug and visually inspect the coral itself small screwdrive can remove any you see.
Both can survive dips especially the snails ime
isnt it only the egg that can survive if you eliminate the shell and the eggs from the bristles the chemical should kill the bristle

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
isnt it only the egg that can survive if you eliminate the shell and the eggs from the bristles the chemical should kill the bristle
No. Coral RX is not a very strong dip. It won’t really kill anything.
I believe you are thinking of using bayer, and in regards to AEFW, the eggs still survive.

Nothing you listed as a coral you keep is sensitive to coral rx. You can dip as much as you want.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N

No. Coral RX is not a very strong dip. It won’t really kill anything.
I believe you are thinking of using bayer, and in regards to AEFW, the eggs still survive.

Nothing you listed as a coral you keep is sensitive to coral rx. You can dip as much as you want.
will doing the bayer dip be more successful? isnt it harsher on the corals dont want to kill any of mine and dont want to bleach them out either

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve Bauer dipped every coral I’ve gotten for years in a bath that’s so milky I can’t see through it. Never once lost a coral.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve Bauer dipped every coral I’ve gotten for years in a bath that’s so milky I can’t see through it. Never once lost a coral.
and it works wonders i suppose doesnt fade or anything yah maybe ill stick to the bayer dip method people seem to use it over RX cause they claim it kills way more

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, each different dip has its own uses and pros and cons. It really depends on what you are trying to do.
I have coralRX, Revive, and bayer all on hand so I can use whichever I need for the moment.

Re-reading your post, it mainly seems like you don’t want bristle worms or vermited snails. And honestly your best approach there would be inspection and manual removal.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand the hate towards bristle worms. I find them to be an integral clean up crew member. Their numbers are dictated by available nutrients. To each their own

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand the hate towards bristle worms. I find them to be an integral clean up crew member. Their numbers are dictated by available nutrients. To each their own
yah im sure they are great i just hate their presence haha specially getting pritched by them

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used RX for new corals on pretty much everything you listed except for the toadstool. The only issue i had was with a jawbreaker that i dipped after shipment and split into 4 or 5 frags. They all survived so it worked out for the best :).

Honestly not sure how much it kills but i haven't had any issues with pests. I had a few frags that came in with GHA and RX seemed to have killed it.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a6537e394adebc436149895819f58a5f.jpg

What i was alluding to before is a lot easier than it sounds. This took very little effort.

Removing the stub is as simple as cutting off with a pair of coral cutters. Then use a new blade to go around the remaining base of the plug to scrape anything off you cant see.
Things like branching acros readily will come the entire plug with a thumb power.
Also can make placement on rock a lot easier as have a flat surface now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back