Can I get a coral ID please?

ggowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this today from the pet store but not really sure what kind of coral this is to learn more about the care and placement. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
G

ggowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think I killed it. They day i posted for an ID it looked like the picture. I then moved it down yesterday and it would not open up now it almost looks bleached oh well live and learn. My new Pink Digitatia and Acan corals that I bought the same day look great but that one barely lasted 24 hrs.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a little late but you should always know what your getting into. Do some research as to what corals your system will support and what a certain coral needs before you buy. That will save you money and frustration. If that is a merletti I would go with med to high light and Med flow for best color and growth.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned knowledge of corals before purchase. Sometimes not easy to do when you don't know the coral. Do in those cases always side on caution. When you buy an unknown coral always place low in tank, low light. Until you find out what it prefers.

Even if you purchase a medium light coral, Blasto are low to medium. Place it in low light. Gradually increase it to medium over weeks time. Most LFS do not keep LPS corals under their normal medium lighting. They keep them in low light, sometimes just blues. They look better for sale. Who knows how long the medium light coral was in low light before purchase. Then place suddenly in medium light in your home tank which is what the coral normally likes. But being in low light for months, it is a shock to the coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ggowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I did not know what was and the store employee did not know hence it was sold as a blue/green frag I figured it was some kind of LPS coral maybe a cup coral but that was why I posted luckily it did not really cost me anything since I had store credit from a trade in for some of my torch corals. I do feel bad that I lost it I had it in a med place when I first got it and should have probably just left there since it was open. That night I moved it down to the bottom and it did not open yesterday so I moved it back last night. This morning it looked bleached. That piece went quick! I generally know about the corals I buy but that was one I thouhht looked really nice and open at the store so I got it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back