Can I have a copperband butterflyfish?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 75g reef tank (48” long) and I’m wondering if I can get a small copperband in my tank. I did some research and most places recommend them for over 125 gallons. However, I have seen many reefers that have one under 125g and they seem to do well. I know they are difficult to feed and may nip at soft and lps corals. They also eat Aiptasia which may be helpful to me in the future!

I have an oversized skimmer that’s rated for 265g, so it can definitely handle a high bioload.

My stocking list:

- 1 clownfish
- 1 banggai cardinal
- 1 long fin fairy wrasse
- 1 firefish
- 1 small yellow tang (Will rehome when it gets too big)
- Bunch of snails and shrimps

What are your thoughts? Feel free to recommend other fish as well. Thanks in advance!

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine for a 75 gallon. I have both a yellow tang and CBB in mine and they do just fine. The hardest part with a copperband is getting it to eat. Try to see it eating at the store before taking it home. Otherwise they are very hit or miss.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 75 gallon. Even though it is currently only a quarter of its potential size, it does already look A bit cramped. I do have a 220 gallon system I will put it into once it grows larger though. If you can get a healthy one, then they are pretty hardy and will eat anything (including Aiptasia but also some LPS).

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never gotten one to eat. I think if it was the first fish that I put in a tank it would probably be a lot easier but these guys just ignore food and the other fish just eat it. Very frustrating expierence each time I tried.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never gotten one to eat. I think if it was the first fish that I put in a tank it would probably be a lot easier but these guys just ignore food and the other fish just eat it. Very frustrating expierence each time I tried.

That’s the hard part. I have also had good luck with Aussie sourced ones. I think Philippines sourced ones are often caught with cyanide or are starved too long before they get here.

Mine eats any frozen food or pellets (which helps when on vacation)

To get an idea of the size of these fish in a 75 gallon here’s a quick pic I just grabbed. Really is probably too small.

2E01BFBF-0500-41E2-BD1C-9FC435F6F703.jpeg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can take months before they start eating frozen food, if ever. Your tank needs to be big enough that they have an ample supply of food to survive on for a LONG time. There’s no guarantee that they will eat aptasia either, some do some don’t, some will eat them for awhile and then move on to something else. Even a copperband that is eating frozen food at the store may get stressed on the move to your tank and stop eating completely. It’s really a crap shoot. My personal belief is a 75 gallon is too small and the butterfly is most likely going to starve before it ever accepts food you give it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 75. All mine will eat is worms it finds in the sand and live white worms I grow and feed it every day. He did kill my feather duster.
I have an 8 foot tank I can move him to if necessary.

U

User1

View Badges
Typically an advanced aquarist fish.
Difficult to teach to eat prepared foods.
Will struggle with food inside the tank if others are competing (wrasse) and faster (worms, pods).
Size.
Temperament (calmer fish).

With that out of the way let us talk about today - smaller size - to tomorrow - larger size and what that means. Why? Because you are already in this boat with a yellow tang that you may have to catch and move to another tank (upgrade) or return to the LFS (for a few pennies on the dollar). What does this mean? It means you have to:

A. Ask the fish to pack its bags and walk into the net to be caught
B. Said fish will ignore, rightly so, and now you have to trap and hope it works
C. If trap fails try barbless hook
D. Barbless hook fails and now you have to remove rock, coral, and lower water

A through D stress you the hobbyist and the fish. If you have to result to D then you will have a mini cycle and potential loss of coral(s) because you will not remember the the original placement. See how this is turning into one big mess because it may or may not be easy to remove said fish be it a tang, damsel, six line wrasse, or butterfly?

If this doesn't answer the question let us try this. Pick up your laptop or phone if you are visiting this forum on those devices. If you are using a desktop even better. Pack it up. Stand up, find the closet near you, open the door, step in, turn around, close the door, and reply here. Let me know what you think. Set timer for about on hour and hang out, surf, read, post, go about your business. Once hour is over, open door, find your bedroom, office, den, or great room. Repeat the process. Post again.

How was the experience between the two? Felt different? I bet it did. You and the yellow tang are now one. Onus is on the hobbyist to do research and provide the pet a proper environment. To the best of "our" ability. That may mean we can't keep some fish we want as a side effect rather than asking questions looking for an answer we want to hear. Not saying you are - just noting it.

Oh yes, remember 75 gallons is just the tank estimated water volume. It is actually less once you factor in the substrate and rock. Something to keep in mind which is why I said go to the closet :). I'm sure you have coats, chairs, vacuums, or other crap in there that will limit your space.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 yellow tangs and a copperband for 3 years now. A larger tank, but i don't think there is a YellowTang / Copperband issue. I think most people have trouble finding a quality copperband. Mine eats flake food and if he was an inch taller he'd be round.. LOL

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other negative thing other than size is that again if healthy they will steal food from LPS. Mine loves fauna Marin LPS pellets.

Edit. Hmm. Video won’t play. Or is it just not working for me?

Attachments

• IMG_4953.MOV
    6.7 MB

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, if you have to ask then the answer is usually no. Have found them very difficult even if they eat, so for every successful one you hear about thee are probably 5 or 6 who don't live long
I believe that in most cases where they’ve diedvv V even when eating prepared foods it’s a matter of them not getting enough food.
I’ve found that they need multiple feedings of frozen a day to really stay healthy long turn.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that in most cases where they’ve diedvv V even when eating prepared foods it’s a matter of them not getting enough food.
I’ve found that they need multiple feedings of frozen a day to really stay healthy long turn.
Agreed!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other negative thing other than size is that again if healthy they will steal food from LPS. Mine loves fauna Marin LPS pellets.

Edit. Hmm. Video won’t play. Or is it just not working for me?

Just a general FYI
Directly uploaded videos on this forum never play when I just click on them using FireFox.
I just get a grey box that shows no video. I suspect you need to associate the MOV with a Firefox plugin.

Easy Solution.
Right click on the Name in the box eg. "IMG-4953.MOV" and select "Save Link As" It will then give you the option to Save it to a folder. From there you can double click on the saved file and open it with your default video player.

BTW that is a Lovely Copperband and he certainly eats like a pig :D

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back