Can I have multiple tailspot blennys in one aquarium?

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title asks. Can I have multiple tailspot blennys in one 90 gallon aquarium? They are small so maybe? I herd blennys are not nice to each other. Are tailspots any different? Thx

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title asks. Can I have multiple tailspot blennys in one 90 gallon aquarium? They are small so maybe? I herd blennys are not nice to each other. Are tailspots any different? Thx
I personally wouldn’t do it unless you got in a bonded pair.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are territorial. However, they are indeed small and don't use a lot of space. I bought 2 of them a couple of months ago. Within a few days they were MIA and I couldn't find them anywhere. Turns out they lived happily together in a tiny sump chamber for 3 weeks without creating a crime scene. When I got them out, one of them settled in nicely and the other kept being chased around by my cleaner wrasse. He started spending a lot of the time around the overflow weir, so he's probably in the overflow chamber or sump again.

The one in my DT has 3 different holes and he spends 99% of the time around these holes. Very rarely will he venture out in the open. He probably uses an 8'' by 8'' area. This one's still tiny though. I remember the same behavior from my previous tailspot, although he did use a little more of the tank when he got bigger.

If you have plenty of rockwork and sight breakers I don't see any problems with adding 2 to your tank. You'll need some height in your scape so they won't see each other 100% of the time. If they don't get along they'll both take residence on either sides of the tank. I've kept a tailspot with a bicolor blenny before and they didn't like each other one bit. They never fought though, only acted tough to one another every now and then.

My experiences have been in tanks < 4' in length and I suspect a 90 gallon tank will be at least 4'.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are territorial. However, they are indeed small and don't use a lot of space. I bought 2 of them a couple of months ago. Within a few days they were MIA and I couldn't find them anywhere. Turns out they lived happily together in a tiny sump chamber for 3 weeks without creating a crime scene. When I got them out, one of them settled in nicely and the other kept being chased around by my cleaner wrasse. He started spending a lot of the time around the overflow weir, so he's probably in the overflow chamber or sump again.

The one in my DT has 3 different holes and he spends 99% of the time around these holes. Very rarely will he venture out in the open. He probably uses an 8'' by 8'' area. This one's still tiny though. I remember the same behavior from my previous tailspot, although he did use a little more of the tank when he got bigger.

If you have plenty of rockwork and sight breakers I don't see any problems with adding 2 to your tank. You'll need some height in your scape so they won't see each other 100% of the time. If they don't get along they'll both take residence on either sides of the tank. I've kept a tailspot with a bicolor blenny before and they didn't like each other one bit. They never fought though, only acted tough to one another every now and then.

My experiences have been in tanks < 4' in length and I suspect a 90 gallon tank will be at least 4'.
A 90g is a 4’x2’ tank, you are correct - I think this is also what a 80g tank is but I’m unsure if that’s 4’x1.5’. It’s interesting you had that experience, Ive never tried to mix blennies that weren’t barnacle blennies or similar.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 90 is 4'x1.5' (48"x18") footprint.

I haven't tried 2 Escenius blennies together. I would guess that they would hate each other, but, like said, a 90 gallon may be enough room. There are lots and lots of blennies to choose from that wouldn't be so closely related.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 20g 2’x13” and he uses every inch of the tank and loves to hang with my clownfish.

I have read that 2 even in a 100g tank usually ends in fighting. I was curious on breeding them and anything I found on it stated the pairs would kill each other off

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx and yes a standard 90 gallon long . 48/18/25 . It does have a lot of rock work caves and overhangs . I like how the tailspot looks and they eat any slime or films off the rocks .

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90g is a 4’x2’ tank, you are correct - I think this is also what a 80g tank is but I’m unsure if that’s 4’x1.5’. It’s interesting you had that experience, Ive never tried to mix blennies that weren’t barnacle blennies or similar.
Just so you guys know, there are non-standard tanks that are 90's that are 3'x2'x2' But the majority of them will indeed be 4'

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back