Can I immediately repeat dose chemiclean?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean says to add and then do a 20% water change after 48 Hrs. My tank is not completely clear of cyano yet. Can I safely do it all over again after a couple of days?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use chemiclean, the cyano keeps going away for more than two days. I've never had to double-dose. Did you use the recommended amount for your amount of water?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't need to use a second dose either, make sure your skimmer is off and carbon out of tank when you use chemiclean.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use chemiclean, the cyano keeps going away for more than two days. I've never had to double-dose. Did you use the recommended amount for your amount of water?
Yes. It's 90% gone, but if it keeps dying after the recommended water change then it should be taken care of. Thanks

temple2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding my experience here. I did a round of Chemiclean a month ago and just yesterday decided to do a 2nd round. I knew it was coming as of the last couple of weeks. Tank looked great for 2-3 weeks after the treatment, but Cyano as since come back. I know that's a possibility if you don't get your parameters in check, so hoping I can figure things out this go around.

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have same question. Chemiclean instructions say to keep protein skimmer going. We’re at 48 hours right now since treating tank and the cyano is still about the same as it has been. We dosed appropriately, took out carbon, turned off UV, aerating tank, turned light schedule down some, feeding less. Our cyano is only on sand bed and not as bad as some other tanks I’ve seen, would think it would be at least reduced by now. Repeat dose in a day or two?

Attachments

• 98EBFEA9-16D3-4B88-AE62-14B1F5E5D574.jpeg
    98EBFEA9-16D3-4B88-AE62-14B1F5E5D574.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 289
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have same question. Chemiclean instructions say to keep protein skimmer going. We’re at 48 hours right now since treating tank and the cyano is still about the same as it has been. We dosed appropriately, took out carbon, turned off UV, aerating tank, turned light schedule down some, feeding less. Our cyano is only on sand bed and not as bad as some other tanks I’ve seen, would think it would be at least reduced by now. Repeat dose in a day or two?
Are you sure it's cyano? I wasn't sure and basically kept my fingers crossed that I was right. Fortunately I was and it worked.

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but looks like pics of red cyano I’ve seen. Don’t know what else it could be. Tank is only 8 months old so that fits too. I do have a microscope but have no idea how to identify cyano vs sandbed dinos with it. We don’t have any of the stringy thread-like dinos. The sand just gets red.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From that pic, it looks like diatoms to me: excess Silicate feeds them.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you removed as much Cyano as possible before treatment.
Have you checked that the level of N and P are in relatively correct proportion to one another? If not it will,return.

Some systems bottom out either one or the other, or both.
IMM, this is where I see pest algae’s take hold.

After treatment, two if you want, That plus adding some Microbacter 7 over several days should take out that last 10%.

Looks like a red/brown dust to me, had the same after 2 treatments. I did find that my PO4 had bottomed out to a Zero after 6 months running in the 0.05-0.08ppm mark.

I increased PO4 to past level, sucked out that dust, every day, and added Microbacter 7, a few days later, white sand, very noticeable.

IDK if any of that might help you....good luck

Last edited:

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that is there anywhere where it's stars you can't? Doing this every 2 weeks for a couple months wood think it weeks eradicate cyano...
I haven’t come across anything that states you can’t use it every couple weeks (assuming you follow directions and end treatment with a large water change each time). Any chemical should be, at most, added only as needed. Ive never needed to do it that frequently but would if needed; then again, if I needed it every 2 weeks, I’d probably have a different opinion of its efficacy. I do want to add the disclaimer that this is anecdotal based on my experience.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% chemical use in a home aquarium should be the last resort if all else fails. I did see that a store using it on a consistent bases not so much for just cyano but other things too. However if it does need t9 be used every month or more frequently there is obviously issues within the chemistry of the tank. I have done my first dose today keeping lid of skimmer creating loads of micro bubbles that are fed back into the DT via return pump. Do you keep filter socks in?? All GFO is removed and lid off the skimmer..

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% chemical use in a home aquarium should be the last resort if all else fails. I did see that a store using it on a consistent bases not so much for just cyano but other things too. However if it does need t9 be used every month or more frequently there is obviously issues within the chemistry of the tank. I have done my first dose today keeping lid of skimmer creating loads of micro bubbles that are fed back into the DT via return pump. Do you keep filter socks in?? All GFO is removed and lid off the skimmer..
Those bubbles will be with you thru the treatment and even after the water change for a bit while things equalize- if you can tune your skimmer down after the water change (when you put the top back on) you’ll want to. Re: filter socks- either or. Not sure it will make a difference to the treatment. Good move removing gfo. I refresh my carbon after the treatment. Chemiclean helps with more than cyano & I notice my zoas are much happier after. One note is sometimes cyano doesn’t disappear until the 2nd day so don’t get discouraged if you still see it after day1- it will likely be gone by the end of day2

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After decades of using this, you should shut skimmer off and clean it while your at it. You should use multiple doses as needed, and doubling up on amounts has never lost a single piece of coral. I do large water changes afterwards and keep the chemiclean in the tank at least a week before turning skimmer back on then followed by large water changes. Always works and I have never lost anything. If your loosing coral its due to your water conditions and you let it get to bad before using the medicine. Lots of time cyano is caused as your tank crashes, this will not help stop that. But it is a starting point to get your act back together.

Back