Can I immediately repeat dose chemiclean?

BRS

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Chemiclean says to add and then do a 20% water change after 48 Hrs. My tank is not completely clear of cyano yet. Can I safely do it all over again after a couple of days?

BRS

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
When I use chemiclean, the cyano keeps going away for more than two days. I've never had to double-dose. Did you use the recommended amount for your amount of water?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I recently spoke to a very well known online vendor, and they run chemiclean in a couple of their QT tanks 24/7 365 with no ill effects.

They don't use it for cyano problems, but more for QT'ing corals.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I didn't need to use a second dose either, make sure your skimmer is off and carbon out of tank when you use chemiclean.

BRS
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
When I use chemiclean, the cyano keeps going away for more than two days. I've never had to double-dose. Did you use the recommended amount for your amount of water?
Yes. It's 90% gone, but if it keeps dying after the recommended water change then it should be taken care of. Thanks

temple2101

Community Member
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Just adding my experience here. I did a round of Chemiclean a month ago and just yesterday decided to do a 2nd round. I knew it was coming as of the last couple of weeks. Tank looked great for 2-3 weeks after the treatment, but Cyano as since come back. I know that's a possibility if you don't get your parameters in check, so hoping I can figure things out this go around.

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We have same question. Chemiclean instructions say to keep protein skimmer going. We’re at 48 hours right now since treating tank and the cyano is still about the same as it has been. We dosed appropriately, took out carbon, turned off UV, aerating tank, turned light schedule down some, feeding less. Our cyano is only on sand bed and not as bad as some other tanks I’ve seen, would think it would be at least reduced by now. Repeat dose in a day or two?

Attachments

• 98EBFEA9-16D3-4B88-AE62-14B1F5E5D574.jpeg
    98EBFEA9-16D3-4B88-AE62-14B1F5E5D574.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
We have same question. Chemiclean instructions say to keep protein skimmer going. We’re at 48 hours right now since treating tank and the cyano is still about the same as it has been. We dosed appropriately, took out carbon, turned off UV, aerating tank, turned light schedule down some, feeding less. Our cyano is only on sand bed and not as bad as some other tanks I’ve seen, would think it would be at least reduced by now. Repeat dose in a day or two?
Are you sure it's cyano? I wasn't sure and basically kept my fingers crossed that I was right. Fortunately I was and it worked.

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure, but looks like pics of red cyano I’ve seen. Don’t know what else it could be. Tank is only 8 months old so that fits too. I do have a microscope but have no idea how to identify cyano vs sandbed dinos with it. We don’t have any of the stringy thread-like dinos. The sand just gets red.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

From that pic, it looks like diatoms to me: excess Silicate feeds them.

Uncle99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hopefully you removed as much Cyano as possible before treatment.
Have you checked that the level of N and P are in relatively correct proportion to one another? If not it will,return.

Some systems bottom out either one or the other, or both.
IMM, this is where I see pest algae’s take hold.

After treatment, two if you want, That plus adding some Microbacter 7 over several days should take out that last 10%.

Looks like a red/brown dust to me, had the same after 2 treatments. I did find that my PO4 had bottomed out to a Zero after 6 months running in the 0.05-0.08ppm mark.

I increased PO4 to past level, sucked out that dust, every day, and added Microbacter 7, a few days later, white sand, very noticeable.

IDK if any of that might help you....good luck

Last edited:
BRS

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • NO

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.5%
Reef Diaper