Can I immediately repeat dose chemiclean?

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic but that looks like Dino’s, to me but as far as chemiclean goes I’ve used it countless times and I always use it the same way I start out by removing my skimmer cup and leaving my skimmer running then I add the proper amount of chemiclean for my tank into a small cup and mix it till it is blended evenly I then pour it in front of my returns right in the main tank not the sump and I don’t do the 20% water change until 72 hours later this has worked for me 100% every time I do it with no casualties

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After decades of using this, you should shut skimmer off and clean it while your at it. You should use multiple doses as needed, and doubling up on amounts has never lost a single piece of coral. I do large water changes afterwards and keep the chemiclean in the tank at least a week before turning skimmer back on then followed by large water changes. Always works and I have never lost anything. If your loosing coral its due to your water conditions and you let it get to bad before using the medicine. Lots of time cyano is caused as your tank crashes, this will not help stop that. But it is a starting point to get your act back together.
Cleaned the skimmer last week funny enough looks brand new now

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have enough aeration in the tank the chemiclean will not work properly and you will have deaths in your tank
Having the skimmer run creating major micro bubbles is more than enough to aerate it? Also surface of tank is disturbed alot due to return pump and wave maker to assist with gas exchange

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will be plenty, chemiclean works by oxidizing organic sludge aka Cyanobacteria so if there’s not enough oxygen 1.it will not work as good 2.it will use up the oxygen levels in your tank depriving your fish and coral and causing fatalities

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will be plenty
skimmers actually have little impact on oxygenating the water. Yes CC is an oxidizer, but most 02 come from coral when the lights come on and turning off the skimmer has little to no effect. This is a common myth. It does help but very minor and localized. 2 days ago the info was posted here in another thread.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have same question. Chemiclean instructions say to keep protein skimmer going. We’re at 48 hours right now since treating tank and the cyano is still about the same as it has been. We dosed appropriately, took out carbon, turned off UV, aerating tank, turned light schedule down some, feeding less. Our cyano is only on sand bed and not as bad as some other tanks I’ve seen, would think it would be at least reduced by now. Repeat dose in a day or two?
I'd bet a decent amount of money that what you're looking at in those pics are dinos, not cyano. I've used Chemiclean and it has never failed to eradicate cyano, but it won't touch dinos.

Back