Can I just snip off a zoa polyp?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah u will crash ur tank and you will probably die too if you do that
Well, that's why one should wear a mask, goggles, and gloves whenever cutting zoanthids.

I think it should be safe in the tank, just make sure you are running carbon and do a water change afterwards.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah u will crash ur tank and you will probably die too if you do that
I highly doubt that. There’s only 2 strains that are bad and both are ugly and hardly seen these days. I’ve been fragging zoas for years and only use eye protection. Scalpel or aqua saw is best for fragging zoas.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend knows someone who almost died from doing this.
It can happen, but if one remains cautious, they should be okay. As long as you're not hacking away at zoas or playing with them too much, the risk is somewhat low. It's definitely there, though, and should be greatly considered whenever handling palythoa.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt that. There’s only 2 strains that are bad and both are ugly and hardly seen these days. I’ve been fragging zoas for years and only use eye protection. Scalpel or aqua saw is best for fragging zoas.
+1. The terrible strains will really only be found in wild zoas, not the designer and captive grown morphs.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point. If I do one polyp I don't think it should effect the rest of the colony or am I wrong?
I would avoid aiptasia x for the one polyp. Although effective in eliminating invasive palys, if it is super close to the other zoas, you're likely going to lose a few.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend knows someone who almost died from doing this.
Truly depends on an individual's immune system. Some people die from bee stings, eating peanuts or coming in contact with latex products. Always use protection (sounds like health class in high school ;)) … being careful should be all the protection you need.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point. If I do one polyp I don't think it should effect the rest of the colony or am I wrong?
If it’s isolated I’d doubt it. Mabye take a knife slice the coral off then take a chisel and chip off as little as possible that the zoa is on and make it a colony or do whatever with it

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid aiptasia x for the one polyp. Although effective in eliminating invasive palys, if it is super close to the other zoas, you're likely going to lose a few.
What if you used Frank's F-Aiptasia to cover it? That gives control on where it is placed

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back