Can I keep a clam in a empty tank temporarily?

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so ive had my clam now for a few months and he's been happy enough to not die, however recently my pistol shrimp has been being a c*** and keeps knocking him over or burying him. obviously i could remove the shrimp and take back to the LFS, however to do that will require removing everything in the tank and potentially crashing my system.
However in the last month or so i have been setting up a new small tank for a daums reef lobster (not a big one but when gets too big will swap with a smaller one with the LFS) so after rambling a little my question is. Would it be possible to put my clam (around 2 inches? give or take a few mil) in this new system that currently doesnt have any fish in yet (untill this next weekend october 7th) or would this be a bad move?

Obviously it doesnt hurt to ask a question that could avoid disaster as im worried the shrimp will inadvertedly kill it but dont want to dump it in a setup (ready for fish) empty tank and accidently bomb the clam

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the issue in this. Often they sit in more or less empty tanks in your LFS's until someone brings them home - plus think if the shipping involved as well.

No, I wouldn't be too worried about it for what is just a week - provided the tank is cycled and ready to support life that is. Keep an eye on him though; there's not much food in a clean and new tank for a filter feeder.

I did not actually read from your post why you want to temporarily remove the clam. What happens on the 7th October?

OP
OP
Onixom

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the issue in this. Often they sit in more or less empty tanks in your LFS's until someone brings them home - plus think if the shipping involved as well.

No, I wouldn't be too worried about it for what is just a week - provided the tank is cycled and ready to support life that is. Keep an eye on him though; there's not much food in a clean and new tank for a filter feeder.

I did not actually read from your post why you want to temporarily remove the clam. What happens on the 7th October?
Going to be adding the daums reef lobster, so there will then be some food from the filter feeding side (obviously will be dosing phyto if theres no fish)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be adding the daums reef lobster, so there will then be some food from the filter feeding side (obviously will be dosing phyto if theres no fish)
So it's not temporarily then? The clam will stay in the tank with the lobster? :)

Clams generally do much better in well established reef tanks, so I would think twice about that!

OP
OP
Onixom

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's not temporarily then? The clam will stay in the tank with the lobster? :)

Clams generally do much better in well established reef tanks, so I would think twice about that!
Yep thats my bad i've worded it poorly.

I meant being empty temporarily untill i get some fish in the tank as i know its a filter feeder so i assumed that fish were needed.
But if it will be a problem then will be best to leave it as.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back