Can I keep a dogface puffer all by himself in a 40g breeder? Or can I put him in my main tank?

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to buy a dogface puffer for my tank but I have coral no sps just LPs and softies and people said that he would eat those too and that he was extremely aggressive idk if that true but I wanted to get a 40g breeder just for him or can I put him in my main tank which is 150g???

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to buy a dogface puffer for my tank but I have coral no sps just LPs and softies and people said that he would eat those too and that he was extremely aggressive idk if that true but I wanted to get a 40g breeder just for him or can I put him in my main tank which is 150g???
40g is way to small. If you want it than you may have to alter your coral stock

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion (I could totally be wrong) but I think dogface puffers are mostly coral safe.

The issue is that they will eat inverts and CUC. Snails, hermits, urchins, shrimps, and maybe even clams.

They are also pretty messy eaters. They poop and eat a lot. Not really good for a reef environment.

As far as I know, they don’t really eat coral.

Upvote 0

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do either. 40g is a temporary tank for a juvenile/baby Dogface, like a 3" one. Full-grown that's a footlong fish. Plan around it growing. 150g would be the choice but it's not going to work with corals. It will chew everything.

Upvote 0

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I setup a 40g as a template tank in my office. I spend way more time in there so now it's stocked with all the corals. Move your corals to the 40 and put the fish in the main. When you are able to frag, put them in the main and if they get eaten who cares... they were free. It's so nice having a small tank that I can just stick my hand in and keep prestine.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back