Can I keep a red coris wrasse with a maroon clownfish

Sambengle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I order my fish I put them in a 29g to see if they are sick. well when I had flame angelfish the maroon start chasing flame angel all across the tank. so I'm wondering about the red coris wrasse??

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I order my fish I put them in a 29g to see if they are sick. well when I had flame angelfish the maroon start chasing flame angel all across the tank. so I'm wondering about the red coris wrasse??
Maroon clownfish can/will chase any new fish. Depending whether it has an established territory, hiding places, the size of the 2 fish. I do not think anyone can say yes or no to this question - because each individual fish is different

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally yes, any wrasse from the genus Coris will be aggressive once established. Red Coris are one of the slightly more aggressive species in this genus to my knowledge. So it should fend for itself if you were to get a mature male off the bat.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the tank the two fish would go into? The larger the tank the more likely the success.
IME maroon clownfish claim a much larger territory than Ocellaris clown fish.
If the tank is large enough, and the rock work allows it, consider putting a divider in the tank for a time.
House the fish on opposites sides and let them establish their own separate territories.
Best of luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How large is the tank the two fish would go into? The larger the tank the more likely the success.
IME maroon clownfish claim a much larger territory than Ocellaris clown fish.
If the tank is large enough, and the rock work allows it, consider putting a divider in the tank for a time.
House the fish on opposites sides and let them establish their own separate territories.
Best of luck
The main issue is the age and size of the fish - sometimes the maroon will kill everything - (they can get to 6 or or so inches) - I somehow get the feeling that the OP is talking about the 2 red colored fish (maybe not) - I do not think thats a factor

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue is the age and size of the fish - sometimes the maroon will kill everything - (they can get to 6 or or so inches) - I somehow get the feeling that the OP is talking about the 2 red colored fish (maybe not) - I do not think thats a factor
The colour is only the factor when they’re of a similar body shape but when they’re a totally different body shape I don’t think it does matter. The body shape with the maroon and the coris is almost totally different - the only similarity is the compact body (which even then it’s not the same when you include the fins) and not as robust as a Zebrasoma tang.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think thats what I was implying. 1. You cant guarantee anything with a maroon clown. 2. The color does not matter. But in any case - there is no data out there about a red Coris wrasse - and a maroon clown - so everyone is giving their opinion. I have a friend with a 4 inch maroon clown and a red Coris wrasse. Does that matter to this situation? No. Its between the individual fish IMHO

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back