Can i keep corals in my brackish aquarium

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Coral like higher amounts of salinity then most other marine life so I would have to say no I mean there could be a possibility a few pieces would be stronger then others and could possibly adapt but they might not grow properly or even at all

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves are fine in saltwater. If no fish I'd just raise salinity to give you more options. If it must be brackish, your best bet is some sort of zoanthid. Zoanthids are found in many different environments though and I doubt Deepwater zoanthids for example would survive low salinity. I honestly doubt any zoanthid would survive at 1.015 but if you can find some from mangrove forests you might have a shot. I have seen anecdotal reports of some hard corals ans gorgonians living in brackish man-made canals but who knows what that really means.

Other than that, I've heard many times that there are some kind of brackish anemones but I have never seen a species or common name or even a picture so I can't really help beyond that.

If it were easy to keep corals in brackish you'd expect to see more talk about it or available specimens in the trade. Especially with how few plants there are for high brackish water.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I reckon its worth the rist, ill get some gps
No. Don’t ‘risk’ keeping animals at suboptimal conditions. I know a lot of people view corals as inanimate objects, but they are living animals, it’s still animal cruelty. If you want to keep corals, start a proper saltwater aquarium.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it seems its a bad idea, I scrap it
If you were in the USA and wanted to do brackish with 1.015, there are quite a few Florida zoas that are commonly found it water of that salinity and sometime slightly lower. Outside of them, all other corals that can thrive in that low of salinity are protected.

But I do agree to slowly raise salinity if you want to keep corals. Also, if you are doing red mangroves, I suggest taking about 2 weeks to go from that level to nomral SW levels. You will also need to mist the leaves a little more often to remove the little bit of salt that they do excrete from the leaves. If doing black or white mangroves, it needs to happen in about a months time and you will have to mist the leaves daily.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but you can use whole milk to dose for calcium and smelting your own iron and adding it to your sump is a great way to raise your micro nutrients....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back