Can I keep them? Tang police

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 90 gallon tank with a Tomini tang, foxface, and a few others, but those two are my main worry. Anyways, where I live, I only really have one place to put my tank and it’s right below my TV. Because of that, I can’t have any hanging lights or it would block my TV. Well a local business is getting rid of their tank and they contacted me. I don’t really know what size it is (all I have is a picture), but it seems to be about the same amount of gallons. Because it’s a corner tank, I would be able to use a hanging light, thus I will be able to provide better lighting for my coral. My problem is I don’t know if it is 4ft and everyone says that a tang needs to be in a 4ft minimum, so I wanted to get y’all opinion on how big you think this one is and if it will be sufficient.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are your tangs? I personally wouldn't even keep a tang in anything under a 120. It just feels too cramped for my liking. But I may be wrong.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are your tangs? I personally wouldn't even keep a tang in anything under a 120. It just feels too cramped for my liking. But I may be wrong.
I forgot to post the picture of the new one so y’all can estimate the size. It’s a 2” tomini right now, so I was told a 4’ tank would be okay since it’s the smallest kind of tang.

894730F7-4110-4DC4-93DC-D3C7F3091ADF.jpeg

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my nano tank! Don't you guys love it? He is doing really well, he just doesn't eat very well and often floats to the surface :( Can anyone help me?
hqdefault.jpg

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to post the picture of the new one so y’all can estimate the size. It’s a 2” tomini right now, so I was told a 4’ tank would be okay since it’s the smallest kind of tang.

894730F7-4110-4DC4-93DC-D3C7F3091ADF.jpeg
You should be fine IMO! I've never abide by police anyhow lol my experience is with a yellow tang and a sailfin in my 110 where they are joined by a fox face. The tangs swim a lap every minute or so and the fox face is mainly active for feeding otherwise he likes to relax in my soft corals... these three fish are like part of the family when we are in the living room. Aside from battling nitrate they are all happy and seem to have at least a handful of years in my existing tank. I'll post some pics later. Tomini tangs are small and less aggressive I think you're golden.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my nano tank! Don't you guys love it? He is doing really well, he just doesn't eat very well and often floats to the surface :( Can anyone help me?
hqdefault.jpg
Is 4’ not good enough? Multiple people in my local Reef club have different types of tangs in 4’ tanks with success. Genuinely curious, not being a jerk.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine IMO! I've never abide by police anyhow lol my experience is with a yellow tang and a sailfin in my 110 where they are joined by a fox face. The tangs swim a lap every minute or so and the fox face is mainly active for feeding otherwise he likes to relax in my soft corals... these three fish are like part of the family when we are in the living room. Aside from battling nitrate they are all happy and seem to have at least a handful of years in my existing tank. I'll post some pics later. Tomini tangs are small and less aggressive I think you're golden.
Thank you for clarifying. I heard that using multiple powerheads also makes them swim more and is benificial for tangs, so I already have 2 500gph powerheads in there and if I transition to this tank, it comes with 2 1000+ gph heads I can use too. Very interested to see your pictures as well.

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarifying. I heard that using multiple powerheads also makes them swim more and is benificial for tangs, so I already have 2 500gph powerheads in there and if I transition to this tank, it comes with 2 1000+ gph heads I can use too. Very interested to see your pictures as well.
Blast the powerheads!!! Make them excercise I use two 1200 gph and have been scheming to put another in there because there is an area behind the rocks that could have stronger current if the want a break from swimming the can hide, right!?

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a 4 foot tank you should be good with the tomini. They are one of the smaller tangs and stay near the rocks as opposed to open swimmers like achilles and powder blues or nasos.

However I would only put one Tang in a 4 foot tank. Tangs can be pretty aggressive to other tangs. I learned that the hard way in my 90.

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a 4 foot tank you should be good with the tomini. They are one of the smaller tangs and stay near the rocks as opposed to open swimmers like achilles and powder blues or nasos.

However I would only put one Tang in a 4 foot tank. Tangs can be pretty aggressive to other tangs. I learned that the hard way in my 90.
Very true! However I am pretty confident that the tension between my yellow tang and sailfin is in no way overstressing them. With that said my yellow tang beat the crap out of my sailfin for almost a month before the sailfin started standing up for itself. After they got used to each other they don't bother each other much. Sounds like that 90 was just a bit too cramped and you got some mean ones!

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true! However I am pretty confident that the tension between my yellow tang and sailfin is in no way overstressing them. With that said my yellow tang beat the crap out of my sailfin for almost a month before the sailfin started standing up for itself. After they got used to each other they don't bother each other much. Sounds like that 90 was just a bit too cramped and you got some mean ones!

Yeah I made the mistake of getting a big yellow tang and mixing it with a Kole tang which was almost the same size. Both went at it until the yellow tang got stressed and the tank was overwhelmed by brooklynella or velvet which was brought in with the stressed Kole. :/

They were mean fish most likely. Should have gotten smaller sized tangs for better chance of success. I have a purple tang atm which is 6 inches so quite large. He is pretty placid compared to the previous kole and yellow. He chases my butterflyfish's once in a while but its personality is totally different. Each fish is different I guess but still tangs can be crazy territorial in 4 foot tanks.

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I made the mistake of getting a big yellow tang and mixing it with a Kole tang which was almost the same size. Both went at it until the yellow tang got stressed and the tank was overwhelmed by brooklynella or velvet which was brought in with the stressed Kole. :/

They were mean fish most likely. Should have gotten smaller sized tangs for better chance of success. I have a purple tang atm which is 6 inches so quite large. He is pretty placid compared to the previous kole and yellow. He chases my butterflyfish's once in a while but its personality is totally different. Each fish is different I guess but still tangs can be crazy territorial in 4 foot tanks.
I forgot to mention earlier I actually have a blue tang in there too... I couldn't resist I got it at no more than 1" long and now it's about 3" with the tang being 4 and the sailfin 5.. the newest fish and nobody messed with her at all... I think because he shape is closer to the chromis the bigger tangs still don't recognize her as a relative species! Hahaha I can't believe I forgot that.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My current 90 gallon is 4 foot and they seem to get along fine. After doing some research and comparing to what I see in that picture, the tank may be a 100 gallon, 36x36x24. There aren’t too many tanks that are hexegon like that. Is that going to be a problem for them? The foxface stays to him self and the tomini stays around the rocks as you said. If it is going to be a problem then I will keep the 90 gallon. The hexegon tank was just more convenient since I could use a better light for the coral.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 90 gallon is 4 foot and they seem to get along fine. After doing some research and comparing to what I see in that picture, the tank may be a 100 gallon, 36x36x24. There aren’t too many tanks that are hexegon like that. Is that going to be a problem for them? The foxface stays to him self and the tomini stays around the rocks as you said. If it is going to be a problem then I will keep the 90 gallon. The hexegon tank was just more convenient since I could use a better light for the coral.

Can't really say how it will turn out. Honestly if you were to put a tang in a 3 foot tank the best one for that length would be a tomini tang. Personally for the fish I would keep the 90 gallon tank. But for the coral under your circumstances I would get the corner tank. So either you get the hexagon tank and get rid of your current fish and get fish much more suited to that tank, keep the 90 gallon and the fish or roll the dice and try your current fish in the 3 foot tank. Just a note that the tang and foxface would enjoy a longer tank then the shorter corner tank.

Just be prepared for a backup plan if the fish don't workout in the corner tank.

I forgot to mention earlier I actually have a blue tang in there too... I couldn't resist I got it at no more than 1" long and now it's about 3" with the tang being 4 and the sailfin 5.. the newest fish and nobody messed with her at all... I think because he shape is closer to the chromis the bigger tangs still don't recognize her as a relative species! Hahaha I can't believe I forgot that.

Yeah body shape plays a big role maybe that's why your blue tang hasn't faced the wrath of your Zebrasoma tangs. My butterflyfish are close to body shape with my purple tang maybe that's why it postures at them every now and again.

Always wanted a blue tang. Sadly my tank is too small for one. So I settled for my other favourite tang. Even though the purple could use a bigger tank. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really say how it will turn out. Honestly if you were to put a tang in a 3 foot tank the best one for that length would be a tomini tang. Personally for the fish I would keep the 90 gallon tank. But for the coral under your circumstances I would get the corner tank. So either you get the hexagon tank and get rid of your current fish and get fish much more suited to that tank, keep the 90 gallon and the fish or roll the dice and try your current fish in the 3 foot tank. Just a note that the tang and foxface would enjoy a longer tank then the shorter corner tank.

Just be prepared for a backup plan if the fish don't workout in the corner tank.

Yeah body shape plays a big role maybe that's why your blue tang hasn't faced the wrath of your Zebrasoma tangs. My butterflyfish are close to body shape with my purple tang maybe that's why it postures at them every now and again.

Always wanted a blue tang. Sadly my tank is too small for one. So I settled for my other favourite tang. Even though the purple could use a bigger tank. ;Nailbiting
Would filling the tank with powerheads help in making them swim and what not? Once again, I don’t even know what the size of the new one is, so I am just guessing 36x36x24. The tomini is why I got into the saltwater hobby, but coral is what keeps me going, so that would be a hard decision.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back