Can I keep them? Tang police

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would filling the tank with powerheads help in making them swim and what not? Once again, I don’t even know what the size of the new one is, so I am just guessing 36x36x24. The tomini is why I got into the saltwater hobby, but coral is what keeps me going, so that would be a hard decision.

Strong flow from the powerheads will help. It will give the tang "exercise". A suggestion that you can try is to aquascape your rock such that the full rock structure is in the middle. Keep a circle of open space around it. This could give the tang the impression there is more length. The more open the aquascape the better.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong flow from the powerheads will help. It will give the tang "exercise". A suggestion that you can try is to aquascape your rock such that the full rock structure is in the middle. Keep a circle of open space around it. This could give the tang the impression there is more length. The more open the aquascape the better.
Thank you very much for your help! If I continue with this tank in the future, I will do the aquascape you said. Also, I will tell you when I see it and what I decide, in case I have more questions.

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4249.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG
IMG_4253.JPG
Here's some pics of my hungry fish! Sorry I let the tank go a week or so between scrubbing the walls down!

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4254.JPG
Here is a side angle to show exactly what you are talking about. My tangs swim "laps" around the rock in the middle of the tank

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4254.JPG

Here is a side angle to show exactly what you are talking about. My tangs swim "laps" around the rock in the middle of the tank

Yeah that's pretty much what you want. Just make sure it's easy for them to go around the rock structure in the new tank.

BreakingWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4' is fine. Keeping them well fed is more important than just size. Flow helps too. Open rockwork.

That corner tank definitely looks big enough for some small tangs if they are added in a good order, healthy to begin with, and kept well fed.
ec6fc32a15ba560c71777cd9b3d4772a.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four feet is fine for a small tang or two, although mixing tangs is always a gamble.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four feet is fine for a small tang or two, although mixing tangs is always a gamble.
I don’t really know what the corner tanks size is yet (I pick it up Friday). If it is a 36x36 like I think it is, will that be good?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really know what the corner tanks size is yet (I pick it up Friday). If it is a 36x36 like I think it is, will that be good?
Perhaps as temporary home to a very small tang

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a small tang, diagonally from corner to corner you probably have close to 4ft. Give it a shot and see how the fish does. It’ll be fine for the time being, just have a back up plan just in case it’s health starts to decline as it get larger.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those spots normal on your yellow tang? And whats the white spot by caudal fin?

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a small tang, diagonally from corner to corner you probably have close to 4ft. Give it a shot and see how the fish does. It’ll be fine for the time being, just have a back up plan just in case it’s health starts to decline as it get larger.
I don’t plan on getting rid of the 90 gallon, so if the tang starts to do bad in this corner tank, then I can move everything back over to the 90. Thank you!

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini tang (full grown) is not much of a swimmer from my experience. When the lights are at peak brightness he spends most of the time hanging out underneath a large overhanging rock that's near his algae clip or with my clowns under their breeding rock. Doesn't seem to be a big fan of the bright lights. He can dart across the tank and kick up nasty sand storms but seems like quite a lazy tang for the most part. I think yours will do just fine in that corner tank.

BrandonP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok on the Tomini Tang, they are one of the smaller tangs based on my knowledge. Not so sure about the Fox Face, don’t have any experience with them.

If it makes you feel better I keep a Sailfin, Hippo, Lemon Peel and Tomini in a 4ft 120 gallon. The Sailfin and Hippo love the flow, while the Tomini and Mimic like to meander between the rockwork.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok on the Tomini Tang, they are one of the smaller tangs based on my knowledge. Not so sure about the Fox Face, don’t have any experience with them.

If it makes you feel better I keep a Sailfin, Hippo, Lemon Peel and Tomini in a 4ft 120 gallon. The Sailfin and Hippo love the flow, while the Tomini and Mimic like to meander between the rockwork.
I just picked it up and it’s a 120 gallon corner. From corner to corner it’s actually larger than much 4ft. I was happy to see that. Thanks!

Gnarles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked it up and it’s a 120 gallon corner. From corner to corner it’s actually larger than much 4ft. I was happy to see that. Thanks!
Bigger is always better hahaha nice job man now your lighting can get hooked up!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back