Can I kill these things taking over my GSP?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PlanB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Thanks for all the replies, guys, and gals. I ended up taking the coral out of the display as the majority suggested, and tried to remove the bubbles manually without harming the coral. However, these bubbles were hardened, and taking off bug chunks of coral with them. I also saw some little critters jump out of the coral, so that freaked me out a bit. knowing they could be good critters, I dont know, but I did not want to take chances. So, to be safe, I think I will not be returning this guy to the tank. As for emerald crabs, I have purposely not introduced those guys into my tank and plan to never add them, until such time as there is enough food for them (if then even). My tank is young, so assuming they finish off the bubble algae, they would more than likely go after something that I do like, and paid more for than the crabs themselves. Thanks again to all the suggestions!
 
Thanks for all the replies, guys, and gals. I ended up taking the coral out of the display as the majority suggested, and tried to remove the bubbles manually without harming the coral. However, these bubbles were hardened, and taking off bug chunks of coral with them. I also saw some little critters jump out of the coral, so that freaked me out a bit. knowing they could be good critters, I dont know, but I did not want to take chances. So, to be safe, I think I will not be returning this guy to the tank. As for emerald crabs, I have purposely not introduced those guys into my tank and plan to never add them, until such time as there is enough food for them (if then even). My tank is young, so assuming they finish off the bubble algae, they would more than likely go after something that I do like, and paid more for than the crabs themselves. Thanks again to all the suggestions!
search for "sump lords" on here, youll see how big they can get LOL I have one in my sump as we speak, he only gets leftovers though.
good luck :)
 
LOL! If it's not, it should be!!!
 
Thanks for all the replies, guys, and gals. I ended up taking the coral out of the display as the majority suggested, and tried to remove the bubbles manually without harming the coral. However, these bubbles were hardened, and taking off bug chunks of coral with them. I also saw some little critters jump out of the coral, so that freaked me out a bit. knowing they could be good critters, I dont know, but I did not want to take chances. So, to be safe, I think I will not be returning this guy to the tank. As for emerald crabs, I have purposely not introduced those guys into my tank and plan to never add them, until such time as there is enough food for them (if then even). My tank is young, so assuming they finish off the bubble algae, they would more than likely go after something that I do like, and paid more for than the crabs themselves. Thanks again to all the suggestions!


I took a chance and added an emerald crab to my tank in hope it would work on some of the bubble algae... The flamehawk ate em :(
 
I mean this is a frag of GSP your talking about. Just toss it and go buy a new one for 10 bucks lol. I mean if you want some I could mail you a handful. Just pay the shipping
 
I have had no issue with bubble algea beyond the 'ugly phase'. I still find a couple bubbles here and there but patience and nutrient control worked for me. I dont run sterile reef tanks. If i want a piece of furniture ill go buy one. I keep an ecosystem :). Be wary of those who toss around words like "always" "never" etc. Bold statements!

Personally never had luck with emeralds and turns out i really never needed them. Nutrient control ftw.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new