can I put 3 tangs in my reefer 170 (45g)

OP
OP
I

Inaz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience in a standard 120g, was that my powder blue, yellow, and hippo, which eventually killed off yellow and powder, due to stress. The hippo was relocated to a standard 180g, which the owner had to pass on, due to needing more swimming space. No bashing, just reality. I currently have a 36"x24"x24 and won't even consider A tang, FWIW.
Cheers
oh god, I dont wanna risk it thanks tho

mottomegl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang has killed 2 yellow tang and a brown scopas tang that was double the size of the purple they were fine in the 200 gallon all together but then they got ick from stress and all were moved to a 100 hospital tank purple picked off each one in a week even tried diveders purple found away around same body shape = trouble no way around purples are mean and well kill the only tang so far that has lasted was a sailfin double the size and remember i am doing these in a 200 gallon they grow quickly

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow isn't that rare. You can buy one right now from Biota website for $150 if you wanted. That is still cheaper than most places sell purples.

The tank is so small that the tangs may fight and tangs that look beat up or sick/stressed won't really be nice looking.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t “try” and make it work. That’s just for you. But thinking zero about the fish. Find fish that will fit and get along in your tank. With such high likelihood of aggression and deaths I think it’s irresponsible to see what happens. These are animals and pets. Living creatures.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should consider the fish’s needs before adding them to your tank. Some of us push the limits and find work arounds but what your asking sounds extreme, unless you’ve left something out such as; the fish will only be in the tank for a week, the fish are juvis and your upgrading tanks next month, the fish are plastic figurines.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang has killed 2 yellow tang and a brown scopas tang that was double the size of the purple they were fine in the 200 gallon all together but then they got ick from stress and all were moved to a 100 hospital tank purple picked off each one in a week even tried diveders purple found away around same body shape = trouble no way around purples are mean and well kill the only tang so far that has lasted was a sailfin double the size and remember i am doing these in a 200 gallon they grow quickly
Sailfins are aggressive and can hold their own against much larger .

purples are the a holes of tangs .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no way.
The health of the fish is top priority .
Think of it this way . As I have read in other reefing articles .

One of the issues with reef aquaria is us ….

think of going into a pet store and buying a dog .
that dog wasn’t provided a proper home and died .
The next day another dog is purchased and placed in the same conditions .

Instead of moving livestock to inadequate “boxes” why not try to preserve life and provide proper space for everyone to thrive happily .

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my personal experience, my yellow tang was a model citizen until we introduced a juvenile emperor and a long nose butterfly; the blue hippo tang was the mean one, up until that point. The yellow tang forced me to remove the butterfly, while the angel held her own, and now...the yellow tang is back being the most peaceful in the tank. I guess as the bullied, he was trying to change his rank in the tank, LOL.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to see 3 tangs in a 45-gallon just to see how many people blow a gasket at this point...

418B4EF7-D5D9-4FD5-8825-7D91AA5BD234.gif

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my 120 gal tank to a 225 so I could get the tang I wanted. YES, I upgraded for a simple fish. I did it knowing that it was the right thing to do. I always wanted an Achilles tang. If you know anything about an Achilles tang, the one thing they absolutely love to do is swim. They are not rated for anything less than a 6ft tank, and now I see why. I have a total of 6 tangs in my tank, of which, 2 will have to be rehomed down the road in a few years. The 2 that will have to be rehomed happen to be 2 of my favorites. My D. Sailfin tang and my Blonde Naso tang. I bought them knowing I would have to rehome them down the road. I have no issue doing so, as its the right thing to do. I have had to rehome tangs in the past, and it stinks, BUT, it was for the right reason. Many reefers say they can do this, BUT, they were wrong and held onto the tangs until they died.

I have a friend that I just helped move a 650 gal tank with, AND, I have no issue giving both tangs to for the health of the fish.

Last edited:

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E double hockey sticks, no.

Have your entire family live in a walkin closet 24/7, and see how that works out for you

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish of hexs 3D prints tangs! You could add three of those all day!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! It’s your tank to do what you want with it!
Though your results may be negative.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That purple is going to kill that yellow.
Bad idea both the species choice and tank size.
Sorry,

If the yellow is what you really like, just keep him.

Fish&coral72g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a big N.O i know it is hard but people just have to accept that, at least only have a purple tang. and no more please! don't hurt these animals. i love tangs as you can see from my profile pic, but i have a red sea reefer 350 so i can only have one to two if i cant have more even tho mine is bigger then i would not recomened don't do it please!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back