Can i RRR before i start TTM?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by PegasisR, May 15, 2019.

1. PegasisR

PegasisR Active Member

I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to Ruby reef rally the fish before placement in QT for TTM? I wanted to do this since TTM doesn't treat velvet... What do you think?

2. Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa

Yes, RRR is a great first treatment for all fish going into QT.

PegasisR and HotRocks like this.
  3. PegasisR

PegasisR Active Member

Does ttm work with animals affected by ich already?

4. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Ruby reef rally is a good antiseptic bath for incoming fish, especially fish infested with parasites and at risk for infection.

But, it doesn’t actually treat velvet by itself. It *might* treat brook, but usually is suggested to do a follow-up treatment for that too.

PegasisR likes this.
  5. PegasisR

PegasisR Active Member

Follow up with what meds? Copper? If so how do you make sure its always stable at the ppm you would have it at?

6. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

There’s some controversy regarding prophylactic treatment vs. symptomatic. TTM doesn’t treat velvet, so if you want to do TTM as a preventative for ich and then observe for 2-3 weeks after, for signs of velvet... that would be a decent plan. If you see velvet crop up during observation, you would need to treat with either copper or CP.

If the goal is to prophylactically treat for BOTH ich and velvet, then it would probably be better to just skip TTM and treat with copper instead. But again, there is some controversy here since copper is a toxin and an immunosuppressant... some feel it’s best to be only used “as needed”.

I personally follow a QT method very similar to this one:
    My Current QT Process
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ds/My-Current-QT-Process.483371/&share_type=t

This schedule prophylactically treats for ich, velvet, brook, uronema, flukes, and internal parasites.

It’s aggressive, but I’ve had seemingly healthy fish sneak parasites into my tank into the past using observation-only QT, so I’ve adapted this process and have been pretty successful with it.

This is my opinion, but there are opinions a plenty about what is necessary and what is not, and they range from doing nothing at all (no QT, period) to my own.

PegasisR likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted