Can I still use my live rock?

tinafayeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the hobby over 3 months ago with the 13.5 Fluval. One of my LFS gave me a tiny piece of live rock and then the rest in dry rock. Told me that the tiny piece of live rock will eventually turn my dry rock to live rock. Then I started having a bad algae outbreak and another LFS recommended to start over. So I upgraded to a 24 gallon with all new live rock and everything is doing very well. My question is, I just bought a Yellow Watchman a couple days ago and my Royal Gramma has been a bully because it’s established it’s area in the larger live rock fixture. Can I take that tiny piece of live rock from my old tank and put it in my new tank? In hopes that the goby will use it. I will say, the small piece has been sitting dormant in my old tank for about 2 months submerged. No flow or anything.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I boil the piece for peace of mind? Or just add it right in?
Never, never, never ever boil rock.

You can hit it with muratic acid or bleach and then rinse and dry.

I'll let you do some searching or someone else can chime in on the specifics but do not boil.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the hobby over 3 months ago with the 13.5 Fluval. One of my LFS gave me a tiny piece of live rock and then the rest in dry rock. Told me that the tiny piece of live rock will eventually turn my dry rock to live rock. Then I started having a bad algae outbreak and another LFS recommended to start over. So I upgraded to a 24 gallon with all new live rock and everything is doing very well. My question is, I just bought a Yellow Watchman a couple days ago and my Royal Gramma has been a bully because it’s established it’s area in the larger live rock fixture. Can I take that tiny piece of live rock from my old tank and put it in my new tank? In hopes that the goby will use it. I will say, the small piece has been sitting dormant in my old tank for about 2 months submerged. No flow or anything.
So, your first LFS was correct - a piece of live rock would (or at least should) turn all your dry rock into live rock.

The recommendation from your second LFS - I would neither say it is 'right' or 'wrong'. It is a common enough suggestion. However, I would disagree generally to starting over each time there is a bad algae outbreak. Algae outbreaks is not necessarily 'typical' but is something that can happen when setting up a tank, and it has its goods and bads. It take up nitrates (and phosphates), and really, a lot of people consider it as something just to accept because just by chance if it's not one type of algae it can just be another, and well, starting over each time ain't fun.

Anyways, moving on past that, because I guess it is not too relevant anymore.

If your tank is properly cycled and can handle a good amount of ammonia, then there should be no significant issues with adding that piece of live rock to your tank.

But as per @NeonRabbit221B, I doubt it'll solve your problem.

OP
OP
T

tinafayeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your first LFS was correct - a piece of live rock would (or at least should) turn all your dry rock into live rock.

The recommendation from your second LFS - I would neither say it is 'right' or 'wrong'. It is a common enough suggestion. However, I would disagree generally to starting over each time there is a bad algae outbreak. Algae outbreaks is not necessarily 'typical' but is something that can happen when setting up a tank, and it has its goods and bads. It take up nitrates (and phosphates), and really, a lot of people consider it as something just to accept because just by chance if it's not one type of algae it can just be another, and well, starting over each time ain't fun.

If your tank is properly cycled and can handle a good amount of ammonia, then there should be no significant issues with adding that piece of live rock to your tank.

Thank you!

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I fix the algae issue with an urchin, believe me they do a good job, starting every time like a new tank is not good specially if still new, that live rock should of make u dry rock live as well eventually, something was off that makes your algae grow on the tank is common in some new tanks

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new myself, not quite 4 months into restarting my 225g but staring it up I did use what was 200lbs of live rock that sat for about 12 yrs. With just a good rinsing it's had no issues. As far as algae, while cycling your tank to establish your bacteria, I kept lights off. Algae needs light bacteria doesn't. Even after starting to add life lights were kept to a minimum for a while and have some algae but by no means an outbreak. Keep in mind I am no expert. Just things I read and tried.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back