Can I Use Kinked Vinyl Tubing?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my 25ft order of black 1" vinyl tubing from Marine Depot to setup my 180. The problem is it's kinked at both the left & right sides of the circle it's wound in. Every single piece. One piece is a 90° kink.

I figured I'd try theirs. I usually go with the Lee's Black Pond Tubing, but it's so thick.

I figured I could maybe cut out the kinked parts, but it's like every 12 inches. So that wouldn't work. Is it ok to use it? Will the kinks come out or reduce flow? I'm already dealing with high head pressure for this setup.

If you need pics I can add some.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the hard plastic vinyl tubing or the soft plyable? If the soft, you could try heating with a hair dryer being careful not to melt and reshape. Once back round and straight, dip in cool water to lock the shape in.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the hard plastic vinyl tubing or the soft plyable? If the soft, you could try heating with a hair dryer being careful not to melt and reshape. Once back round and straight, dip in cool water to lock the shape in.

It's the soft plyable. The Lee's pond tubing is hard and not very flexible, but this stuff is super flexible. I'm just worried the dents won't come out once I unwrap it. Plus I don't want to reduce the integrity of the tubing by heating it because there's gonna be a lot of pressure going through it.

Maybe sticking it in some hot water will reshape it?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually the thinnest, flimsiest vinyl tubing I've ever seen. I got it because it said smooth bore interior to help flow (and help reduce buildup of algae or detritus as well, even though algae shouldn't grow in a black tube).

I have the Lee's Black Pond Tubing on my 93 cube and it is so rigid that it caused my return pvc into the tank to leak because I picked up my return pump and the tubing wouldn't flex at all for me to unscrew the pump. So I wanted normal 1" black vinyl but I don't even know if this stuff will burst apart, that's how thin it is.

I gotta call Marine Depot and ask how many gph's this can handle and ask them if the kinks will come out.

I expected a wrapped circle of tubing, not a diamond shape!

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tubing, but I use it for aquarium maintenance and my salt water mixing station and not part of my tank's plumbing system. Either way, I'd ask Marine Depot to replace it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back