Can I use my existing RO system to make salt water

fotuskyt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I absolutely need the DI? I intend to upgrade soon it’s just I found myself in a position where I’m inheriting a 20 gal reef tank with two clown fish from a friend who’s moving to a different state and I literally know nothing

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I absolutely need the DI? I intend to upgrade soon it’s just I found myself in a position where I’m inheriting a 20 gal reef tank with two clown fish from a friend who’s moving to a different state and I literally know nothing

Yes and no. It all depends on your tap water quality. In some places you can use tap water and run reef systems.

As posted above though you can add on a DI stage down the road. Do you have any meters or idea about the quality of your tap water?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the regular RO system in my kitchen sink for a long time. Now I have a RODI that I use out by the pool, (because I always forget I'm using it).
I measure 5 TDS in the RO water and 0 TDS in the DI water. I haven't noticed a difference in the tank water quality. Just for reference my faucet water measures near 300 TDS.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend this as it takes too much control away from me but you may be able to buy rodi or saltwater from a lfs. Personally I would just put a tee in your current system and run that through a di cartridge. I have a single RO system that supplies drinking water and the ice maker in addition to rodi for salt mix and top off

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does help in the long run. You can buy a DI add-on for your existing system. If the unit you already have uses a storage tank, the DI would go after the tank.
I may be wrong but I would probably tap the supply line going into the storage tank and run that to the di. Then you still have the tank full for drinking water even when making rodi.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Type I water or you’re taking a risk duh. I’ve literally used dechlorinated tap water in a pinch before and it had zero observable effect. RO is good enough in most places. Even if you live in Flint, I would take more stages of RO over 4 stage DI.

OP
OP
fotuskyt

fotuskyt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I would probably tap the supply line going into the storage tank and run that to the di. Then you still have the tank full for drinking water even when making rodi.
Hooking everything up won’t be a problem because luckily my boyfriend installs RO systems for a living, im more so just making sure that for the time being regular RO water will be safe for the fish when making salt water

OP
OP
fotuskyt

fotuskyt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the regular RO system in my kitchen sink for a long time. Now I have a RODI that I use out by the pool, (because I always forget I'm using it).
I measure 5 TDS in the RO water and 0 TDS in the DI water. I haven't noticed a difference in the tank water quality. Just for reference my faucet water measures near 300 TDS.
Thank you so much, this was the answer to my question. Last time I checked a while ago I was at 30 TDS but was told I could get it down way lower. Going to test the water today and see what’s up

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back