Can I use tap water?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
At minimum, I would buy RO from a trusted LFS. IT WILL BE WORTH THE SMALL EXPENSE.
You will have algae and kinds of nightmares taking the chance and kick yourself repeatedly. 5 gals of RO by me is about $2.50. 5 gallon buckets or bottles will be your friend

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I already have livestock. The store I was going to start did not tell me everything I needed. Basically just sold me a tank and some fish. So I’m trying to figure it all out before everything dies.
Ah, understood. Well dont worry we'll get you through this :)
Do you have salt mix on hand? And what kind and how many fish did you acquire

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under no circumstances would I ever use tap water. As others suggest, a RODI system is mandatory unless you are buying it from your local store. If you do use tap water be prepared for a algae outbreak.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to go to RO water eventually, but the nearest store near me that sells it is over an hour away. I only need to use the tap water temporarily. Not as a permanent/ long term thing. I have Prime water conditioner that I’ve read helps.
Do you, it's your stuff but literally everyone here has told you no. You just keep trying to get a "go for it your fine" answer out of someone it seems. You're going to do it anyways, and your not gonna be happy with the results. You complain about traveling "over an hour away" but you have a tank with stuff in it from around the world.

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, understood. Well dont worry we'll get you through this :)
Do you have salt mix on hand? And what kind and how many fish did you acquire

yes. I have instant ocean sea salt mix now. And I have 3 fish. A clown fish, yellow tang, and blue hippo tang.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After seeing your reasoning. . . . . . . No worries.
We will get you on the right track and help you move forward and be successful.
BEFORE ANY FUTURE PURCHASES, DO ASK TO ASSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING, IF IT IS COMPATABLE AND GET THE PROPER ADVICE.

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you, it's your stuff but literally everyone here has told you no. You just keep trying to get a "go for it your fine" answer out of someone it seems. You're going to do it anyways, and your not gonna be happy with the results. You complain about traveling "over an hour away" but you have a tank with stuff in it from around the world.

okay well your response was literally not helpful at all. You’re right, in the end I am gonna do what I want, but I’m coming here because I would like advice and know what the best option is. My initial comment did not mention Prime or any type of water conditioner which is why I added it in the comments to see if it would make a difference. But if you don’t have anything helpful to advise me with, you don’t have to comment at all.

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing your reasoning. . . . . . . No worries.
We will get you on the right track and help you move forward and be successful.
BEFORE ANY FUTURE PURCHASES, DO ASK TO ASSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING, IF IT IS COMPATABLE AND GET THE PROPER ADVICE.

thank you. I care about my tank and would like to see it grow and thrive. Right now I know all of my levels are off and I need to do a major water change. I’m just trying to figure out the safest way to go about it.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I have instant ocean sea salt mix now. And I have 3 fish. A clown fish, yellow tang, and blue hippo tang.
That's quite the list. How big is the tank they're going in?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at you're other posts. When do you plan to move those fish? Continue to use the Prime to reduce ammonia levels. The first thing I think you should do is get some distilled water from the closest source and do a massive water change. I would also make an RO/DI unit a major priority. Sounds like you are in immediate danger of loosing those fish.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me preface this by saying you should get a RODI filter. We found one on Amazon for 75 bucks and in 9 months haven't had to change the media in it yet. You are going to spend a load of money on the tank, filtration, rock, sand, tank stand ect, skimping on the RODI filter to save a few bucks is only going to end in disaster, or at the very least, a harder time of it.

But I setup the tank initially with tap water cause I got impatient and didn't have the RODI in yet. I used this stuff to neutralize the water and when I got the RODI, did all my water changes with RO water. I haven't had any undo issues with algae except for the normal ugly phase of setting up the tank. This stuff will not, however, turn tap water into RODI water. And keep in mind, my tap water reads 54 TDS so it is already low in heavy medals. I consider myself very lucky.

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just sayin the collective minds are telling you no bruh you have to use RO water. You know where the RO water is. Just go cop some. Just don't use tap water unless it's been ran through an RODI system. Literally everyone has told you that.

okay and not once did I say I was going to go ahead and use tap water. You seem to be irritated by my post and an easy way to solve that would be to just stop commenting. Like I said, you’re not helping.

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at you're other posts. When do you plan to move those fish? Continue to use the Prime to reduce ammonia levels. The first thing I think you should do is get some distilled water from the closest source and do a massive water change. I would also make an RO/DI unit a major priority. Sounds like you are in immediate danger of loosing those fish.

my tank should be in this week.
when I use the distilled water do I have to add anything to it or is it good to just mix the salt? And once it is mixed, how soon could I use it to substitute the water in my tank??

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your response. I also read that using Prime would help I’m getting rid of the chlorine and some of the harmful things in water. Has anyone tried it that way??
The only way to get rid of dissolved metals is through mechanical filtration. Check this out to see what's in your tap water and what it takes to remove it: https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to go to RO water eventually, but the nearest store near me that sells it is over an hour away. I only need to use the tap water temporarily. Not as a permanent/ long term thing. I have Prime water conditioner that I’ve read helps.
I’m in the same boat so i pretty much order everything

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me preface this by saying you should get a RODI filter. We found one on Amazon for 75 bucks and in 9 months haven't had to change the media in it yet. You are going to spend a load of money on the tank, filtration, rock, sand, tank stand ect, skimping on the RODI filter to save a few bucks is only going to end in disaster, or at the very least, a harder time of it.

But I setup the tank initially with tap water cause I got impatient and didn't have the RODI in yet. I used this stuff to neutralize the water and when I got the RODI, did all my water changes with RO water. I haven't had any undo issues with algae except for the normal ugly phase of setting up the tank. This stuff will not, however, turn tap water into RODI water. And keep in mind, my tap water reads 54 TDS so it is already low in heavy medals. I consider myself very lucky.

unnamed.jpg

I will definitely look into a RODI filter. I just did not know anything about it when I started the process and definitely intend on getting one soon. I want to save my tank and my fish.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank should be in this week.
when I use the distilled water do I have to add anything to it or is it good to just mix the salt? And once it is mixed, how soon could I use it to substitute the water in my tank??

Just mix it, give a few hours to aerate and use a heater to get it up to temp.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely look into a RODI filter. I just did not know anything about it when I started the process and definitely intend on getting one soon. I want to save my tank and my fish.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Many new reefers trust the advice of the LFS staff before learning the complexities of reefing. We can turn this around.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back