Can I use tap water?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use tap water to make my saltwater for my aquarium if I boil it first? If so, how long should I let it sit before I do my next water change??
If boiling must be small amout. Is the a store near you with RO water dispenser. I buy 5 gallons RO water at $1.60 just a thought.

But if have to use tap water, use a water conditioner. Aerate(salt mix) for 2 days, then use

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I have instant ocean sea salt mix now. And I have 3 fish. A clown fish, yellow tang, and blue hippo tang.
how are you keeping these fish now? I am a little concerned that this store sold you fish and a tank at the same time and just expected it to all work out. I'm sorry they did that to you. A blue hippo is a fragile fish and should only be added to a tank that is established ie a year old are older. I probably missed something though.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the rest of your posts too. From what I can tell, you have a Hippo, and Yellow tang, in addition to what other clowns etc you have.

You also have an anemone, and at least some coral.

15g tank? When and what is the “new” tank?

It would still need to cycle. I suggest taking all fish back to the store. This is on them. At this point it doesn’t matter what water you use..... you’re running a recipe for disaster right now

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the rest of your posts too. From what I can tell, you have a Hippo, and Yellow tang, in addition to what other clowns etc you have.

It would still need to cycle. I suggest taking all fish back to the store. This is on them. At this point it doesn’t matter what water you use..... you’re running a recipe for disaster right now

All these fish are in a 15 gallon tank? The tangs will eventually die in there. You definitely want to return the fish. Next you want to start reading up on saltwater aquariums and what fish need. If you can join a local club then that will be a great resource for you. Saltwater isn't overly difficult but you need to learn a decent amount of information to do it successfully. Just like any pet, knowing the animals requirements is critical to keeping it happy.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely look into a RODI filter. I just did not know anything about it when I started the process and definitely intend on getting one soon. I want to save my tank and my fish.
When you have some time, watch the Bulk Reef Supply 360 series. That’ll help you figure out exactly how to set up a tank.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I already have livestock. The store I was going to start did not tell me everything I needed. Basically just sold me a tank and some fish. So I’m trying to figure it all out before everything dies.

If this is how everything happened, IE they sold you fish and a tank and you just added new saltwater thats your issue. Your ammonia levels must be through the roof. The sad thing is the store you went to screwed you out of money and fish out of life. To be honest and blunt, the chance of your fish surviving are slim. They are most likely getting ammonia burn and slowly dying. Its best to return them ASAP and thats not to mention tangs need 100 gallon+ tanks generally(yellows can get away with smaller)
Since everything didn't get a chance to cycle it will all most likely slowly die.(like what you are seeing on your other thread)
Take every thing out, return it, and cycle your tank.

link to learn how to cycle tank

Podworski08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use tap water to make my saltwater for my aquarium if I boil it first? If so, how long should I let it sit before I do my next water change??
I really don’t suggest it. There are to many unknowns in tap water and the city or town can increase or decrease additives without notice. Chlorine, phosphates, copper from pipes and other trace metals. It’s a unhealthy for fish and other livestock and like pouring fertilizer for algae. In the past if I needed water in a snap I’ll go get a couple gallons of distilled water from the supermarket for 89c. I have since invested in a RODI system which has already paid for itself butween buying RODI water at the LFS or distilled water from the supermarket.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely the tank isn’t cycled. It’s not good to encourage him/her to get distilled/rodi/whatever.
RETURN THE FISH

After you return the fish, people can help you prepare to properly start a tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah this might be the guy who posted on another forum....had two tangs...clown...bubble tip...some other corals in a new Fluval Evo.

He was told to return them.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah this might be the guy who posted on another forum....had two tangs...clown...bubble tip...some other corals in a new Fluval Evo.

He was told to return them.

He said he is getting a new tank, and this is temporary, as his “big” tank cracked. No idea how he had a big tank without any water source previously, or how any of these were cycled.....

So I’m guessing they weren’t

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hi - There is no reason to 'boil tap water'. If anything that would concentrate any toxins, metals (as the pure water boils off). If you have a fish only tank - you can use tap water - with the appropriate conditioners - but you might have more issues with algae, etc depending on whats in your tap water. If you're planning on corals - definitely not.

But in either case - no boiling

OP
OP
D

Dymond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he is getting a new tank, and this is temporary, as his “big” tank cracked. No idea how he had a big tank without any water source previously, or how any of these were cycled.....

So I’m guessing they weren’t

previously I just kept doing water changes. I used RO water before but do not have any on hand which is why I asked about doing it an alternate way. Just trying to learn how to do things on my own without having to go to the store every day.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t have all of that nor do I have a fluval tank.

Apologize then. It just looks similar in the photos then.

Buy distilled....lots of water changes....dose biospira.

Returning the fish is probably less costly even if you have to rebuy them then the cost of salt and water and so on to keep a uncycled tank with fish in it. You could lose them anyways in a new tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS I'd like an explanation from 'someone' - as to why a tank (with fish only) can't be set up with tap water - there are no major toxins that will harm fish - that are in tap water (that cant be neutralized) - the only problem is tapping off the water with tap water for evaporation MIGHT cause problems. If he/she is doing water changes - even that SHOULD not be a problem. But the best would be to use RO/DI, distilled water for new top offs (clearly).

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less costly and less time consuming way is having a cycled tank before you buy livestock. If your big tank was cycled then that means you would have had live cycled rock to put in your 15g.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less costly and less time consuming way is having a cycled tank before you buy livestock. If your big tank was cycled then that means you would have had live cycled rock to put in your 15g.

You tell me:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back