Can Lanthanum Chloride be an alternative to RODI

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your water source I think the initial water fill would be fine just standard tap water. I filled my 500 with tap water first time, and RO/DI since then with no issues. I also remember Jake from Reef Builders mentioning a few years ago that he just ran RO water, no DI I think. Id get your water tested and go from there.

You and your next door neighbor on the same water supply can have totally different levels of copper as it usually comes from your own pipes.

Tap water is hit or miss, and someone getting a hit is not an indication that you will.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read the 1 micron sediment filter and the carbon block alone will remove 70% of heavy metals and the lanthanum would remove the phosphate. I'm waiting for the 10 micron filter sock to come in. I also have enough DI resin to fill 2 canisters. I'm just going to bypass the RO membrane to fill the tank faster.

IF you use a DI, which will remove almost everything of concern except perhaps chlorine/chloramine, you will end up saving money by also using an RO and using far less DI resin.

Wanda Jo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used rodi in over 7 months, and I do ten gallon water changes on a Nuvo 40 every week. I have city water, and only thing I use is seachem prime. I think using rodi is nonsense to be honest, IMO. I have zero algae problems besides very minimal little spots of gha, no diatoms either. Coloration, growth and health of everything, including sps is amazing. I will never waste the money on a rodi system again. BUT that’s just me.
Same here, used tap water yrs ago, before the rodi systems then switched to RODI, not seeing the difference, I jumped off the bandwagon & switched back to Tap water a couple of yrs ago I have no issues & have less algae with the tap water actually

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, used tap water yrs ago, before the rodi systems then switched to RODI, not seeing the difference, I jumped off the bandwagon & switched back to Tap water a couple of yrs ago I have no issues & have less algae with the tap water actually

Again, though, folks should NOT EVER decide whether tap water is OK just because someone else uses it any more than you should decide whether food is poisoned because someone else somewhere else ate the same type of food and survived.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeppper! Team tap water for the win lol.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back