Can Lanthanum Chloride be an alternative to RODI

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you remove phosphate, silicate, chlorine, ammonia (there is ammonia in my tap water), and anything else you might be concerned about from the water, you likely would have been better off cost wise to just get an RODI. If you're simply looking to remove phosphate, than yeah I think your idea would be fine. As others have mentioned, there's alot more to it than just phosphate though.

What have you been doing for the tanks you already have? are you just using tap water? If that's the case, and you havne't had any issues, than perhaps your tap water is good enough to start up another tank. If you're having issues with it now and want to improve your water before filling up your 150, than upgrading to RODI might be a good option. There is some upfront cost, and ongoing water cost end element change out costs, but for me it's alot less than the cost of fighting algae and other related issues in a large tank. Any time I treat my tank for anything it costs me at least $60 in additives, and often times more. If an RODI saves me that cost and headache a couple of times than it's paid for itself.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say that in order to know what specifically needs to be removed from your tap water, you should get your tap water tested to see what's in it. That might be the best way to start your evaluation. An ICP test would help with determining the mineral makeup of your water.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you remove phosphate, silicate, chlorine, ammonia (there is ammonia in my tap water), and anything else you might be concerned about from the water, you likely would have been better off cost wise to just get an RODI. If you're simply looking to remove phosphate, than yeah I think your idea would be fine. As others have mentioned, there's alot more to it than just phosphate though.

What have you been doing for the tanks you already have? are you just using tap water? If that's the case, and you havne't had any issues, than perhaps your tap water is good enough to start up another tank. If you're having issues with it now and want to improve your water before filling up your 150, than upgrading to RODI might be a good option. There is some upfront cost, and ongoing water cost end element change out costs, but for me it's alot less than the cost of fighting algae and other related issues in a large tank. Any time I treat my tank for anything it costs me at least $60 in additives, and often times more. If an RODI saves me that cost and headache a couple of times than it's paid for itself.
I use RODI right now.But I still deal with algae.Like I said earlier 90% of all reef related problems seems to be nuisance algae of some sort or other. I do about 10 gal a week in a 55 and about 10gal in a 65.My fish only gets 5 gal every 3 weeks.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that in order to know what specifically needs to be removed from your tap water, you should get your tap water tested to see what's in it. That might be the best way to start your evaluation. An ICP test would help with determining the mineral makeup of your water.
There was a local tap water report, I had saved, but lost it when my desk-top died.I'll have to see if I can find it again.The city of Erie installed an RO membrane in their treatment plant.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my 55gal tank,I deal with the algae by wiping the glass and water changes.Just though I'd try the (LaCl3) treatment on the 150. Instead of waiting a week for the RODI. It's going to a mainly softy / Euphyllia tank.Stuff's starting to out grow my 55gal.
IMG_0483.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to stop wasting water.$$$..I'm getting ready to set up a 150gal tank. Do you think I could fill tank with city water, then run some (LaCl3) through a 5 or 10 micron sock, before adding IO salt. Water would be run through a 1 Micron Sediment Filter and 1 Micron Carbon Block first. Do you think this would work as an alternative to RODI?.
Here is a thought.

If all you had to do was make saltwater once and start the aquarium, maybe no big deal using tap water. The problem with tap water is that it is also used to continually replace evaporated water. This can lead to an increasing concentration of impurities like metals that might be OK initially, but could accumulate over time to harmful levels.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LACL can mess wirh tangs gills....
I use it every few months when my phosphates Creep up over .06

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to ask one simple question.....

Are your homes water pipes copper? If they are, don't even think about using tap water.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used rodi in over 7 months, and I do ten gallon water changes on a Nuvo 40 every week. I have city water, and only thing I use is seachem prime. I think using rodi is nonsense to be honest, IMO. I have zero algae problems besides very minimal little spots of gha, no diatoms either. Coloration, growth and health of everything, including sps is amazing. I will never waste the money on a rodi system again. BUT that’s just me.

Attachments

• 1C96109E-1993-41DF-BEB4-88B9F0F745B7.jpeg
    1C96109E-1993-41DF-BEB4-88B9F0F745B7.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 234D6366-A4E5-4293-AFEF-6B35E422A4B2.jpeg
    234D6366-A4E5-4293-AFEF-6B35E422A4B2.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 38
  • FD73F40E-F24B-46F9-8DFB-B72BFEA320B5.jpeg
    FD73F40E-F24B-46F9-8DFB-B72BFEA320B5.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 31
  • E72CECAE-1DFA-4BF6-9860-1B21701E7398.jpeg
    E72CECAE-1DFA-4BF6-9860-1B21701E7398.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 34
  • 44D113E2-D87A-4D30-852A-931D14E71067.jpeg
    44D113E2-D87A-4D30-852A-931D14E71067.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 36

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me that again in a year or so. It's not an immediate problem, it's a build up issue over time.

I've seen first hand what copper pipes can do to a reef tank.

It's known fact copper leaches from copper pipes(newer pipes more so then older) and is actually needed in the body. Hence why it's not a concern for drinking water. Copper pipes in a home will most certainly kill your reef over time if using TAP.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a local tap water report, I had saved, but lost it when my desk-top died.I'll have to see if I can find it again.The city of Erie installed an RO membrane in their treatment plant.

I assume this is what you had.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me that again in a year or so. It's not an immediate problem, it's a build up issue over time.

I've seen first hand what copper pipes can do to a reef tank.

It's known fact copper leaches from copper pipes(newer pipes more so then older) and is actually needed in the body. Hence why it's not a concern for drinking water. Copper pipes in a home will most certainly kill your reef over time if using TAP.
It’s been almost a year... and I think my sps would of had a negative effect by now? It’s the exact opposite to be honest. I noticed better all around health after stopping using rodi.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is what you had.

Yes, that's what I had. I looked it up.but I really don't know how to make scene of the results. There so many.

Laboratory Test Results – 2020​

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to ask one simple question.....

Are your homes water pipes copper? If they are, don't even think about using tap water.
most every household around here use copper,They replaced old galvanized pipes with copper.Been keeping marine fish and reefing since the 80's.And every apartment and house had copper pipes.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read the 1 micron sediment filter and the carbon block alone will remove 70% of heavy metals and the lanthanum would remove the phosphate. I'm waiting for the 10 micron filter sock to come in. I also have enough DI resin to fill 2 canisters. I'm just going to bypass the RO membrane to fill the tank faster.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapest way would be rain water or snow run through some activated carbon. Ive tested snow melted and it has 0ppm tds.

saltwaterjunkie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your water source I think the initial water fill would be fine just standard tap water. I filled my 500 with tap water first time, and RO/DI since then with no issues. I also remember Jake from Reef Builders mentioning a few years ago that he just ran RO water, no DI I think. Id get your water tested and go from there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the things I need to remove, that a sediment and carbon block won't remove, and that really needs to be removed in the first place.I know that RODI removes a lot of things. But we add a lot of stuff right back in when we add the Salt.

Copper.

I'm skeptical of the 70% value, but 70% removal from 1 ppm copper (allowed by FDA and present in some homes) is far too much remaining copper.

You are taking a risk. You might win, and you might lose.

As Clint said: "you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?”" lol

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back