Can live sand actually allow you to "skip" the cycling process?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how bioload capacity works, after cycle completes:

surfaces in the tank that function as filters do not leave a cycle with room unused by bacteria. They're full, its how we close out and end a cycle, by filling interstices.

Rocks do not have room to take on more bacteria after cycling, but there's a neat hidden years-long process that actually will afford some extra boost, and its by creating extra ***surface area room** not by adding bac into spaces avail, there are no available spaces post cycle.

Stacking bacteria on top of bacteria does NOT add surface area, it reduces it.

so this means post cycle, your rocks can carry as much fish as they'll carry for the next few years even if you added them all at once, no ramp up. Over time, as coralline grows, as vermitid spikes increase surface area, you get room for more bac and water contact increases so filtration efficiency increases, if you've kept surfaces clean. do not think that your rocks infinitely stack up bacteria after a cycle, surface area mechanics doesnt work that way or we couldnt get away with ripping out 10 year old sandbeds, in 20K$ sps reefs, essentially doubling the bioload presentation to the rocks who got no ramp up period when we removed the sandbed.
Do you have sources for the claim that rocks do not have room to take on more bacteria after cycling? That would certainly be a fascinating read and a game changer in my understanding of marine bacterial colonization.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but you will likely not validate them as only old peer referenced works are accepted

but in the world of practical application, and accountability for claims:

Ill also ask you for links that disprove it. formal or not.

if you are truly interested in the science of it, mindstream from Daniel our mod tracks a delicate full sandbed removal, billionths ppm ammonia never changes though rocks have to instantly handle all the fish. that's proof. no ramp up occurs post cycle, and if it does we get cloudy water as surfaces hold no more and water shear carries the rest off into suspension.

its not found on google scholar for the exact same reasons pico reef biology is not found on google scholar, and we've got a million picos running by now. things do happen outside the permission or documentation of formal peers.

of course life and death cycles happen and bac numbers fluctuate.

Im saying you cant document with your Hach ammonia meter that it works oppositely than claimed. if you find a way to document that, pls link :)

Ill expect our sandbed removals to start killing tanks once this rule of surface area mechanics gets undone other than by a post debate.

Last edited:

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sand won't skip a cycle. It will add nitrates and will shorten the cycle. But alone it will still take a little time. I added Eden flakes and they added 5ppm nitrates. But ammonia didn't drop for 3 days. I then added Dr Tim's one and only and within a week I was processing ammonia in 24 hrs.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but you will likely not validate them as only old peer referenced works are accepted

but in the world of practical application, and accountability for claims:

Ill also ask you for links that disprove it. formal or not.

if you are truly interested in the science of it, mindstream from Daniel our mod tracks a delicate full sandbed removal, billionths ppm ammonia never changes though rocks have to instantly handle all the fish. that's proof. no ramp up occurs post cycle, and if it does we get cloudy water as surfaces hold no more and water shear carries the rest off into suspension.

its not found on google scholar for the exact same reasons pico reef biology is not found on google scholar, and we've got a million picos running by now.
I'd invite you to watch this presentation by Richard Ross :). It might explain why certain members have viewpoints that differ from yours with regard to the scientific method and hierachy of anecdotal reports vs. RCTs or even systematic observation.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice deflection. I post 33 pages of only tank work, you post a side debate not related to surface area mechanics at all. not one iota mentioned there.

Ive already combed scholar for the info, and items from aquaculturing seem to confirm it (if you would like to check relevant data)
feel free to search and link up disproving references. our tank work over years becomes a fair reference in my opinion, its not luck or we'd be drummed out of town for killing tanks.

water shear and interspace competition and feed rates/export rates affect bac numbers and its dynamic. you dont get extra filtration carrying ability until you add surface area, not more bac

have you noticed there's a work thread of massive effort for most claims made regarding cycle science, and they're specific jobs to the claims?

hunt us down some cycling info. Im relaying what I think the most updated, testable science is on the matter.

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intention was not to deflect, but rather to try and invite you to understand things from a different perspective so that we might better communicate and find a common ground. Unfortunately, it seems like we're still speaking two different languages.

I don't want to crowd this thread with an aside, so if you would like to continue the conversation, I'd love to try and understand each other over private messages.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intention was not to deflect, but rather to try and invite you to understand things from a different perspective so that we might better communicate and find a common ground. Unfortunately, it seems like we're still speaking two different languages.

I don't want to crowd this thread with an aside, so if you would like to continue the conversation, I'd love to try and understand each other over private messages.
No I love to hear the debate! Please keep it going!

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you suggest conditioning?
A new tank is cycled when it has completed the nitrogen and carbon cycles, all other cycles are supposed to have taken place during the nitrogen cycling process. Most essential organisms are supposed to be present after cycling. It will take at least 3 weeks. But a cycled tank is not conditioned for what is coming, the tank is not prepared to support the planned bio-load. This can be done by slowly increasing the food supply after cycling without a skimmer or GAC. Planning a high loaded mixed reef or a VLN coral tank? It makes a difference in conditioning a tank, not for cycling it.
I prefer to use bio-filters and prepare them by feeding the filters marine food as needed ( low protein food from marine origin, frozen food, the food you are planning to give? ), this will increase the remineralization and carrying capacity of the system and prepare the filter bed for what is coming. The protein content of the food source used is determent for the remineralization rate and the C/N ratio. High protein food has a low C/N ratio. A biofilter is easily sized and conditioned to support the needs of a HIHO system or an LNS.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how bioload capacity works, after cycle completes:

surfaces in the tank that function as filters do not leave a cycle with room unused by bacteria. They're full, its how we close out and end a cycle, by filling interstices.

Rocks do not have room to take on more bacteria after cycling, but there's a neat hidden years-long process that actually will afford some extra boost, and its by creating extra ***surface area room** not by adding bac into spaces avail, there are no available spaces post cycle.

Stacking bacteria on top of bacteria does NOT add surface area, it reduces it.

so this means post cycle, your rocks can carry as much fish as they'll carry for the next few years even if you added them all at once, no ramp up. Over time, as coralline grows, as vermitid spikes increase surface area, you get room for more bac and water contact increases so filtration efficiency increases, if you've kept surfaces clean. do not think that your rocks infinitely stack up bacteria after a cycle, surface area mechanics doesnt work that way or we couldnt get away with ripping out 10 year old sandbeds, in 20K$ sps reefs, essentially doubling the bioload presentation to the rocks who got no ramp up period when we removed the sandbed.

we get away with that practice because in all reefs using rocks and sand, the surface area is so massive beyond whats needed, ripping half of it out doesnt matter, the leftover half could be reduced in half again, and it would still carry the same fish bioload.

good luck finding any of that in links heh

better than finding it in links=seeing it applied for five years in one thread where about half a million bucks of reef tanks keep showing the same phenomena, over and over.

if you truly consider the details, sandbed removal microbiology is an amazing way to measure actual cycle biology even though the tank is matured. anytime you put a massive loading on rocks that had no time to 'build up' or condition, you are studying how things worked on day 31 of your cycle.
I'm curious on how you describe the nutrient spike from adding too much new bioload all at once... Many reefers would agree that you add new livestock you have to go slowly so the bacteria has a chance to catch up. What accounts for that?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tank is cycled when it has completed the nitrogen and carbon cycles, all other cycles are supposed to have taken place during the nitrogen cycling process. Most essential organisms are supposed to be present after cycling. It will take at least 3 weeks. But a cycled tank is not conditioned for what is coming, the tank is not prepared to support the planned bio-load. This can be done by slowly increasing the food supply after cycling without a skimmer or GAC. Planning a high loaded mixed reef or a VLN coral tank? It makes a difference in conditioning a tank, not for cycling it.
I prefer to use bio-filters and prepare them by feeding the filters marine food as needed ( low protein food from marine origin, frozen food, the food you are planning to give? ), this will increase the remineralization and carrying capacity of the system and prepare the filter bed for what is coming. The protein content of the food source used is determent for the remineralization rate and the C/N ratio. High protein food has a low C/N ratio. A biofilter is easily sized and conditioned to support the needs of a HIHO system or an LNS.
Would bottled nitrifying bacteria help at all? like Fritz turbo boost?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those dosers are not needed. im out here.

you get nutrients that would cause algae, but not excess ammonia.

in our work thread for sand rinsing, its important to consider how accurate parts per billion ammonia conversion rate is

these api measures that always claim free ammonia work in the tenths ppm, at best, which no reef reaches per seneye cycles. Our entire concept of what bacteria do in a reef tank is based on false measure, up until mindstream and seneye.

with rocks and sand and many fish= parts per billion ammonia conversion rate per minstream in that thread

sand instantly removed, this presents all the fish bioloading now to rocks only, no ramp up, didnt change ppb conversion rate on same tank, because ramp up doesnt occur. the rocks can always take on more bioload immediately because bacteria do not grow to match fish bioloading that's just something forums made up with about fifteen other cycling rules :) that no Macna convention will ever adhere to.

in one particular thread we have DjCity starving live rock no feed for three years, water only and a glass tank with live rock no feed, and then they instantly passed a cycling test with a spike of ammonia at month 36

also shows that we dont control bacteria like forums say we do.

The more bacteria you add to rocks the less filtration efficiency you get because they compete for resources but can't find extra exposure to wastewater. stacking bacteria in layers ontop doesnt increase surface area, it decreases it

W

if you try and fill in that letter W, which is two V's, with crud or with a bunch of bac it becomes slowly an O, which is less surface area. The more a reef accumulates detritus, which is a result of aging, the less efficient the biofilter becomes not due to lack of bacteria, there's extra now with the mess, its due to clogged W surface area and less contact water exposure. You're dealing in wastewater science in this discussion, Im amazed links arent coming from that domain.

Last edited:

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would say you can try the live sand and test it within a week and see what your parameters are, And then ghost feed for two days and wait another week and check parameters again.The key is is that every tank doesn’t run the same and doesn’t perform the same. in my personal opinion Patience is the key and trying to cycle a tank faster to me is not patients. let it run its course.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those dosers are not needed. im out here.

you get nutrients that would cause algae, but not excess ammonia.

in our work thread for sand rinsing, its important to consider how accurate parts per billion ammonia conversion rate is

these api measures that always claim free ammonia work in the tenths ppm, at best, which no reef reaches per seneye cycles. Our entire concept of what bacteria do in a reef tank is based on false measure, up until mindstream and seneye.

with rocks and sand and many fish= parts per billion ammonia conversion rate per minstream in that thread

sand instantly removed, this presents all the fish bioloading now to rocks only, no ramp up, didnt change ppb conversion rate on same tank, because ramp up doesnt occur. the rocks can always take on more bioload immediately because bacteria do not grow to match fish bioloading that's just something forums made up with about fifteen other cycling rules :) that no Macna convention will ever adhere to.

in one particular thread we have DjCity starving live rock no feed for three years, water only and a glass tank with live rock no feed, and then they instantly passed a cycling test with a spike of ammonia at month 36

also shows that we dont control bacteria like forums say we do.

The more bacteria you add to rocks the less filtration efficiency you get because they compete for resources but can't find extra exposure to wastewater. stacking bacteria in layers ontop doesnt increase surface area, it decreases it

W

if you try and fill in that letter W, which is two V's, with crud or with a bunch of bac it becomes slowly an O, which is less surface area. The more a reef accumulates detritus, which is a result of aging, the less efficient the biofilter becomes not due to lack of bacteria, there's extra now with the mess, its due to clogged W surface area and less contact water exposure. You're dealing in wastewater science in this discussion, Im amazed links arent coming from that domain.
How does adding livestock slowly reduce the algae growing nutrients? Is there another type of bacteria that grows to consume them?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would say you can try the live sand and test it within a week and see what your parameters are, And then ghost feed for two days and wait another week and check parameters again.The key is is that every tank doesn’t run the same and doesn’t perform the same. in my personal opinion Patience is the key and trying to cycle a tank faster to me is not patients. let it run its course.
During that first week would I just put the sand in with water and nothing else? I do have ammonium chloride that I could add at controlled doses but I could just as easily add in some fish food (which you are saying may be better?), but I'm not sure I completely understand your instructions.

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has measured what he's asking for in a clear way. I can't find any working examples of proof one way or another

Show me a post of live sand simply being tested for oxidization. Youve got a company claiming its able (do bacteria care if they're packed in a bottle or a bag?) and you've got hobbyists doubting them

and not one person has tested/awaiting links.
why not be the first~~

buy bag, test bag using that second calibration method I posted in your other thread. Then you'll have the first measure of your question Duberii, and Im curious to see the outcome.

I predict it will work; bacteria indeed dont care about bottle vs bag. they care about hydration
I personally think aquatic bacteria will not be killed in water, nor starved.

then you could rinse the sand as we do, in tap, and re test it after evacuating it with RO/completeness
I tested already nitrate after one day with live sand. I used 4 dead shrimps, so I think it does work. I didn't test any ammonia and nitrite.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep updated testing by taricha shows it works agreed. Since four years ago, testing progress has been made. Bagged live sand wet packed has filter bacteria like what they listed on the label.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back