can saltwater pufferfish poison other fish?

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I've been thinking about getting a saltwater puffer, so I started doing research. However, a web site called reefapp.com, which seems to give overall good info, said that they all (with the exception of the narrow-lined puffer) are capable of releasing a toxin out of their skin when stressed or dying in rare instances, killing everything in the tank. I knew this was the case with boxfish, but had never heard it be the case with pufferfish, although I do know that their skin is poisonous. Can anyone shed some light on this? because if this is true, then i'd rather not take the risk. Also, can someone explain why the narrow-lined is randomly the only one not capable of this, because I might end up getting it.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am not sure about the one puffer fish you mentioned as being non toxic. I will say I have never come across anyone saying a puffer fish took out their whole tank. A majority of their poison is in their organs. They cannot release it into the water. I can’t say what would happen if a puffer died and was left to decompose full.

I will mention research tank size and tank mates since puffers get fairly big and like a certain diet, not coral friendly. That said puffers are awesome.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to leave a dying/dead puffer in a tank for an extended period of time for the decomposition of their tissues and organs to significantly affect water quality in any large tank (suitable for a puffer).

I've had multiple experiences with puffers taking out several other fish in the same tank. It's not their dying that affects the others, it's their tendency to suddenly regurgitate the contents of their digestive tract whenever they are stressed or become sick, and most puffers keep a full belly. Then their tank mates will often attempt to nibble on the puffer's "upchuck" which is full of puffer toxin (Tetrodotoxin (TTX) is a potent neurotoxin). The toxin halts respiration and effectively nukes the curious/nibbling tank mate(s).

I've also experienced the loss of "sympathetic" puffer friends who tend to hang around with their puffer buddy if he isn't feeling well. Perhaps it was the residual toxic food, perhaps it was toxin being excreted from the puffer skin as it was dying?

This much I can confidently say... anything from a small Valentini Puffer to a big Dogface Puffer can take out most, if not all of a <150 gallon tank when things go wrong. It's not myth, I've seen it firsthand several times.

I LOVE puffers, but puffers do NOT like change. They are very sensitive to water condition changes, require careful and special handling and you must be prepared to lose more than just the puffer if tank conditions go south for some reason. Size of the puffer is also NO indicator of their ability to affect others. The Valentini (Black Saddled) Puffer is just as potent as an 8" Dogface.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I've been thinking about getting a saltwater puffer, so I started doing research. However, a web site called reefapp.com, which seems to give overall good info, said that they all (with the exception of the narrow-lined puffer) are capable of releasing a toxin out of their skin when stressed or dying in rare instances, killing everything in the tank. I knew this was the case with boxfish, but had never heard it be the case with pufferfish, although I do know that their skin is poisonous. Can anyone shed some light on this? because if this is true, then i'd rather not take the risk. Also, can someone explain why the narrow-lined is randomly the only one not capable of this, because I might end up getting it.

do yourself a favor and look at several sites, that one site is prolly the worst lol

LiveAquaria, fish lore, animal -world are all much better options.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more puffer-isdom for you...
Don't have anything silicone and fake in your tank with a puffer (like a fake anemone). Puffers will peck and consume (but cannot digest) the silicone pieces until they can no longer hold anymore. Which unfortunately and eventually starves them to death. Artificial plants, artificial anemones, artificial anything that the puffer can pick away pieces from are all bad news.

OP
OP
D

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to leave a dying/dead puffer in a tank for an extended period of time for the decomposition of their tissues and organs to significantly affect water quality in any large tank (suitable for a puffer).

I've had multiple experiences with puffers taking out several other fish in the same tank. It's not their dying that affects the others, it's their tendency to suddenly regurgitate the contents of their digestive tract whenever they are stressed or become sick, and most puffers keep a full belly. Then their tank mates will often attempt to nibble on the puffer's "upchuck" which is full of puffer toxin (Tetrodotoxin (TTX) is a potent neurotoxin). The toxin halts respiration and effectively nukes the curious/nibbling tank mate(s).

I've also experienced the loss of "sympathetic" puffer friends who tend to hang around with their puffer buddy if he isn't feeling well. Perhaps it was the residual toxic food, perhaps it was toxin being excreted from the puffer skin as it was dying?

This much I can confidently say... anything from a small Valentini Puffer to a big Dogface Puffer can take out most, if not all of a <150 gallon tank when things go wrong. It's not myth, I've seen it firsthand several times.

I LOVE puffers, but puffers do NOT like change. They are very sensitive to water condition changes, require careful and special handling and you must be prepared to lose more than just the puffer if tank conditions go south for some reason. Size of the puffer is also NO indicator of their ability to affect others. The Valentini (Black Saddled) Puffer is just as potent as an 8" Dogface.
wait so they are likely to regurgitate their neurotoxin laden food into the tank whenever they get stressed or sick? Is this frequent, or do they have to be very stressed or very sick? It seems like keeping one would be extremely risky.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait so they are likely to regurgitate their neurotoxin laden food into the tank whenever they get stressed or sick? Is this frequent, or do they have to be very stressed or very sick? It seems like keeping one would be extremely risky.
They do have to be extremely stressed or sick, but do keep in mind that to a puffer, extreme stress can mean a pH shift of 0.2+, Temp shift of +/- 2-degreesF, or adding an "active fish" like a trigger or tang.
Puffers are hammock fish. They don't care if it's cloudy, drizzling, sunny, a little hot or somewhat chilly. They DO get very upset if you rock their hammock and they will throw up on you.

OP
OP
D

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have to be extremely stressed or sick, but do keep in mind that to a puffer, extreme stress can mean a pH shift of 0.2+, Temp shift of +/- 2-degreesF, or adding an "active fish" like a trigger or tang.
Puffers are hammock fish. They don't care if it's cloudy, drizzling, sunny, a little hot or somewhat chilly. They DO get very upset if you rock their hammock and they will throw up on you.
Wow. puffers seem pretty hard to keep with other fish. And I had thought they were hardy, too. guess i was wrong haha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back