Can some one please explain to me the difference in curing vs cycling dry rock

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some one please explain to me the difference in curing vs cycling dry/live rock

my understanding is that curing method is:
dry or live rock placed in a bin with salt water heated and add a circulation pump do water changes every 1-2 weeks for at least 1-2 months until dead organic dissolve

cycling a new reef tank method to my knowledge is:
Same thing as curing but ….you either add a hearty strong fish in the system like a clown fish or you could go the fish less system and add ammonia in a bottle or add a raw shrimp don’t do water changes until you’re read zero with your ammonia test kit then do a 50% water change when you see zero ammonia

basically what I see is the only difference is the water changes every 1 to 2 weeks for at least 1 to 2 months am I wrong?

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi stevediaz1,

Curing liverock is the process of allowing all the dead organisms on the liverock to completely decompose prior to adding the rock to a tank. Cycling wet liverock is not necessary because it is already cycled and contains living organisms however, this is not the case for dry rock. For dry rock, it must be cycled along with the tank to accumulate living organisms on and inside it in order to be suitable for tank inhabitants.

Bulk Reef Supply has two really good articles on curing live rock and on cycling dry rock. Here are the links:

Curing:

Cycling:

Drop a like if this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back