Can someone help me dose Kalkwasser?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have kalkwasser that will be here soon.

I do not have an auto top off so I will probably be slow dripping it into the tank somehow.

If my parameters are calcium 420, dkh 9.6, and magnesium. 1320, and ph 7.8. Do I need to bring the parameters lower then that before starting to dose?

also the directions say 1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of top off water (fresh ro/di) water.

How much kalkwasser would I mix in a small container, lets say it was a 1 gallon container that I will find a way to drip from into the reef tank?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the daily consumption of alk/calc? Those parameters are already fine....if they don't drop a reasonable amount every day or between water changes then I wouldn't worry about dosing anything until the demand for alk and calc are greater than water changes can replenish.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, your numbers seem inline. I see no reason to dose at the moment. Keep the Kalkwasser handy for when you start seeing depletion of Alkalinity.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, your numbers seem inline. I see no reason to dose at the moment. Keep the Kalkwasser handy for when you start seeing depletion of Alkalinity.

I am dosing to bring ph up to 8.1-8.3 to grow corraline algae and to make it easier for corals to calcify if I add them later maybe.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about pH if everything else is inline. Keeping Alkalinity and Calcium stable is more important. If you are intersted in pH though here is a good article.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php#19
I would not worry about pH if everything else is inline. Keeping Alkalinity and Calcium stable is more important. If you are intersted in pH though here is a good article.

I might read that when I have some time for that. Thank you for the information.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the article suggested, the author suggests that "the pH of natural sea water, about 8.2, is an appropriate goal."

I have seen information talking about the hydrogen in the water and how a low ph makes might make it hard for corals to release hydrogen which might slow the calcification process. So this is why I want to try to maintian a ph of 8.1-8.3.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the article suggested, the author suggests that "the pH of natural sea water, about 8.2, is an appropriate goal."

I have seen information talking about the hydrogen in the water and how a low ph makes might make it hard for corals to release hydrogen which might slow the calcification process. So this is why I want to try to maintian a ph of 8.1-8.3.

As to your Kalkwasser question, 2 teaspoons to one gallon is fully saturated.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to your Kalkwasser question, 2 teaspoons to one gallon is fully saturated.

If I put it in a gallon container, and dose, do you know how much I would need to dose to get the parameters of calcium 420, alkalinity 9.6, magnesium 1320, and pH 8.1-8.3, if for example parameters are at this calcium 390, alkalinity 6 dkh, magnesium 1200, and ph 7.8 on a 22 gallon reef tank?

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say I have some kalkwasser, I have a teaspoon, and a one gallon container and it has a drip hose, and I want the pararameters to be as described in the post above. Can you help me understand what to do with the calculator?

KalkwasserCalculator.jpg

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say I have some kalkwasser, I have a teaspoon, and a one gallon container and it has a drip hose, and I want the pararameters to be as described in the post above. Can you help me understand what to do with the calculator?

KalkwasserCalculator.jpg

I am no expert, but I can try. I do understand the calculator, so that is a start.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMed you with a conversation. :)

Last edited:

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water do you manually add per day to keep up with evaporation?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back