can someone help me put together a sump system

bkennedy239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started the saltwater aquarium. Bought a cascade 1000 cannister, live rock, thermometer etc. My tank is 75 gallon. Now I find out a sump is by far the best way to filtrate. The stand has two compartments, look small for a sump set-up, but maybe both sides with piping running from one to the other would work

How noisy is a sump. I bought the tank and stand for there looks. I have a new house and don't want to trash it out with all the stuff these salt water pros have ie: a room full of tanks and sump systems. I would be glad to take a picture of the compartments with there size if needed. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
B

bkennedy239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noisy as the components, mainly. DC pumps and devices will generally run quieter but will cost more. Are there doors on the stand?
yes doors on both sides

Attachments

• 51FAD896-4E92-471D-BC6D-A2769250EBA6.jpeg
    51FAD896-4E92-471D-BC6D-A2769250EBA6.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 64

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, gotcha. So there’s no sump, but you could place two smaller sumps in each side and connect with a pipe? Yes, you could do that. It’s quite a bit more involved and would require a lot of DIY. But I don’t see your filtration hooked up and I don’t know what you have of in the way of flow in the tank. You also haven’t indicated how long you’ve had the tank setup or if it’s been cycled properly. Are those real or artificial plants?

Bluefalcon2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are those cabinets interior? Sumps don’t have to be big, although a big purpose of them is to give more volume to your tank. Think return pump, skimmer, biomedia/filter sock, and may be a refugium.
All are optional but can serve a vital part in aquatics.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure but i think @najer may have 2 sumps plumbed together,if he has maybe he can show you his and how it works.but basically you will need buy 2 small sumps and drill holes in them and connect a pipe through a bulk head each and have whatever equipmemt you want in each,ovbiously one will have to have a return pump going back upto the dt.
Or could just buy another stand so can fit one larger sump in it or even make yourself a stand to fit a larger sump in it

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure but i think @najer may have 2 sumps plumbed together,if he has maybe he can show you his and how it works.but basically you will need buy 2 small sumps and drill holes in them and connect a pipe through a bulk head each and have whatever equipmemt you want in each,ovbiously one will have to have a return pump going back upto the dt.
Or could just buy another stand so can fit one larger sump in it or even make yourself a stand to fit a larger sump in it

No, my sump is normal but my top tank is divided in two with a swim through for the fish and creatures.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick to a canister is proper husbandry. I ran a full reef on 2 canisters for years. SPS, Clams, etc. with no issues. I just made the time to clean the canisters once a week and do weekly 10% water changes at the same time. If you slip on that maintenance, that is when things go south quick. Canisters become nitrate factories, algae goes nuts, etc.

If you really want to do a sump, there are 2 options for that tank.
- Drill it (if back glass is not tempered)
- Hang on Back overflow box. That will require its own maintenance, if the siphon tube is not black.

Either works great, but be sure you do not skimp on a decent hang on back overflow, if you go that route. My suggestion is to get one that does not require a lift pump to make it operate. There are numerous reefers on here that have had no issues with HOB overflow boxes.

Side note:
It looks like you have macro in the tank now. With that said, if that is the route you are going for things besides fish, canister will work perfect for that setup. I would suggest a hang on back skimmer, for once you get a good bio load going. But it is not really needed. There are tons of awesome no skimmer tanks on R2R that show what proper husbandry can do. But again, you have to be diligent on that husbandry.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my sump is normal but my top tank is divided in two with a swim through for the fish and creatures.
Ok fair enough.thanks for reply.i knew you had 2 tanks plumbed together but was unsure how or what,guess that where " najer twins" comes from ^_^

OP
OP
B

bkennedy239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, gotcha. So there’s no sump, but you could place two smaller sumps in each side and connect with a pipe? Yes, you could do that. It’s quite a bit more involved and would require a lot of DIY. But I don’t see your filtration hooked up and I don’t know what you have of in the way of flow in the tank. You also haven’t indicated how long you’ve had the tank setup or if it’s been cycled properly. Are those real or artificial plants?
Each cabinet is 15 x 14 long and width with 30 inches high here is pictures with the cabinets open it has a cascade 1000 and it’s just in the early cycling stages I just put in the Sand (live)and live rock the other day

Attachments

• DFDD9FD1-7BCA-41F9-9CD7-9285EDCA8216.jpeg
    DFDD9FD1-7BCA-41F9-9CD7-9285EDCA8216.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
B

bkennedy239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick to a canister is proper husbandry. I ran a full reef on 2 canisters for years. SPS, Clams, etc. with no issues. I just made the time to clean the canisters once a week and do weekly 10% water changes at the same time. If you slip on that maintenance, that is when things go south quick. Canisters become nitrate factories, algae goes nuts, etc.

If you really want to do a sump, there are 2 options for that tank.
- Drill it (if back glass is not tempered)
- Hang on Back overflow box. That will require its own maintenance, if the siphon tube is not black.

Either works great, but be sure you do not skimp on a decent hang on back overflow, if you go that route. My suggestion is to get one that does not require a lift pump to make it operate. There are numerous reefers on here that have had no issues with HOB overflow boxes.

Side note:
It looks like you have macro in the tank now. With that said, if that is the route you are going for things besides fish, canister will work perfect for that setup. I would suggest a hang on back skimmer, for once you get a good bio load going. But it is not really needed. There are tons of awesome no skimmer tanks on R2R that show what proper husbandry can do. But again, you have to be diligent on that husbandry.
I really want it hidden in the cabinets the cabinets are 14 x 15 Longmont and 30 inches high I’ve been told unless I get a sump system I won’t be able put but several fish there are hanging on proten skimmers I could do to match the cascade but if somebody could build me one I’d be willing to pay for it

Attachments

• CA018E92-EB1D-42B2-A235-1751C71A5E61.jpeg
    CA018E92-EB1D-42B2-A235-1751C71A5E61.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
B

bkennedy239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want it hidden in the cabinets the cabinets are 14 x 15 Longmont and 30 inches high I’ve been told unless I get a sump system I won’t be able put but several fish there are hanging on proten skimmers I could do to match the cascade but if somebody could build me one I’d be willing to pay for it
If I can’t have a sump then adding a hanging skimmer would probably help on being able to have more than two fish fish

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back