Can someone identify what is on my dispar anthia

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came in from live aquaria last week. Can anyone identify what is on him and the treatment. It is also on his fins. Thanks

20180212_164921.jpg

20180212_164904(0).jpg

20180212_164851.jpg

20180212_164848.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like early stage Brooklynella. Do you have any Ruby Reef Rally? See treatment below from our own Humblefish. Note the passages I underlined for emphasis.

Brooklynella:

Symptoms – This is most often seen in clownfish, but it can afflict any fish. The fish’s skin will appear to be peeling or sloughing off, oftentimes causing excessive white mucous to form around the affected area(s).

Treatment options - Formalin or acriflavine bath, followed by additional baths (as needed - but give the fish a day to recuperate in-between baths). You can use formalin in a QT (at a much lower concentration than the bath), but great care must be taken to provide plenty of gas exchange as formalin will quickly deplete the water of oxygen. For this reason, doing baths is the safer option as the fish can be pulled from the formalin if showing signs of distress. Acriflavine is probably the better option for in-tank QT use.

The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS (preferred), Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

Acriflavine can be found in Acriflavine-MS (preferred) and Ruby Reef Rally.

Metronidazole (exs. Seachem MetroPlex, Metro-MS, Hikari Metro+) is considered an alternative treatment for brook. A freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away. Some even claim total eradication of the disease is possible just by performing multiple FW dips on the fish. o_O

#Reefsquad
@4FordFamily

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this fish has looked this way for at least 6 days now. If it was Brook could it have lived this long? It is swimming around and eating but sometimes it just lays inside the rock. There is also a flame angelfish that chases it every now and then.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resistance to disease varies depending on the immune system of the fish. The other possibility is that it is lymphocystis. From Humblefish:

Lymphocystis:

Symptoms - Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored cauliflower-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. Initially it may be small (looks like ich), and then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment options - No known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have metro on hand. The bad news is he is in my display tank. So I guess that means I need to move two clownfish, flame angel, diamond goby, mccoskers wrasse and the dispar all into my 40 breeder quarantine to treat. Then leave the display tank fallow for 6 weeks?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that looks like potential brook. It haven’t worsened or changed in any way in 7 days?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have metro on hand. The bad news is he is in my display tank. So I guess that means I need to move two clownfish, flame angel, diamond goby, mccoskers wrasse and the dispar all into my 40 breeder quarantine to treat. Then leave the display tank fallow for 6 weeks?
Sorry but yes, 6 weeks to starve out the parasite. Brook is an odd disease that can both kill quickly and or wax and wane over a long period of time, without displaying symptoms, until the individual fish finally succumbs as its immune system weakens. The good thing is that it is a parasite that lives and works on the surface of the fish, so a nice bath in acriflavine (my preference) or formalin (be very careful with this stuff) products seems to do the job quite nicely.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am going to setup two hospital tanks today. I can treat the dispar seperately in a 10 gallon and treat the rest in a 40 gallon breeder for 6 weeks.

Live Aquaria was suppose to email me 24 hours before the fish were shipped. Unfortunately it was sent to my junk mail and I woke up to a box of fish sitting on my front porch for a few hours a day early right before I left to work.

So long story short I spent a half hour acclimating them and then put them straight into my display tank. Lesson learned and I won't be making that mistake again.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a 72 day fallow period rid it for sure in my display tank?

I have prazipro, copersafe and metroplex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will stop by petco and petsmart and see if they have any of this today.

The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS (preferred), Quick Cure,Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will stop by petco and petsmart and see if they have any of this today.

The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS (preferred), Quick Cure,Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Don't forget to consider the Ruby Reef Rally. Great antibiotic and antiseptic for this use on Brook and others. Humblefish has found that if you are treating fish for velvet, after a freshwater dip, a bath in Ruby Reef Rally, significantly increased survival rates of even badly infected fish. I like it a lot and always recommend it for your fish medicine cabinet. Best of luck with your fish.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after hours of tearing into the tank I have managed to catch him. He is in a 10 gallon tank being treated with coppersafe and metroplex.

I figure he has lived a week without getting worse so if you could only treat with one medicine what would it be so I can go ahead and order it. I gave him a 5 min freshwater bath and didn't see any flukes.

15185778158361645994502.jpg

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I slowly raised the coppersafe to therapeutic levels of 2.0 last night. He looked fine this morning when I left to work.

I'm just going to monitor the other fish as they all look healthy and have great appetites. Plus there is no way I'm catching them without completely tearing down the whole tank.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is not an effective treatment for Brooklynella hostilis. I would remove it immediately using an adsorbent like Cuprisorb or Poly-filter. You need to perform repeated formalin baths to rid the fish of the parasite. The Metronidazole will help keep the parasite load down in the QT between baths.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/brooklynella/

I'm not convinced that this is Brooklynella. It looks to be more similar to marine velvet so that it what I am treating it as.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like Brooklynella to me. Velvet usually presents with more defined spots. The diffuse white areas are more symptomatic of Brook. Do you have a microscope to confim a skin scrape?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back