Can someone please help me identify several things

ReefPrincess423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these sand like/pebble like white rocky flecks attached to my rock and glass that I have no idea what they are if anyone could help please.

And this hairy like stuff growing on my coral and a separate rock too.

And then there appears to be this white stringy stuff located on a coral and rock as well.

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair stuff is justalgae and diatoms. I would get a better clean up crew if I was you. More crabs and Mexican turbo snails, astreas and trochus

MichaelD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater family. Only had my tank up and running just a little more than a year. GHA (green hair algae) is a pain in the butt. I tried the clean up crew, would barely make a dent in it. My phosphate levels were high. Why? Could have been a number of things from my research, over feeding, light cycle to long ect.. The more research I did, the faster the algea grew. Didn't want my tank to crash so I opted to get a phosphate reactor to remove the phosphates. Money well spent. Also, another trick that I learned.. Turn all lights off. Throw a blanket over the tank for 3 days. No feeding or peaking under the blanket. Algea needs light to grow. I have a 180 FOWLR, no live corals. From the reviews I read, coral tanks survived and all coral came back around once the blanket was removed. I'm sure you've heard this already... Ask 10 different aquarist the same question, you'll get 12 different answers.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these sand like/pebble like white rocky flecks attached to my rock and glass that I have no idea what they are if anyone could help please.

And this hairy like stuff growing on my coral and a separate rock too.

And then there appears to be this white stringy stuff located on a coral and rock as well.

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

Top pic looks like spirorbid worms to me; pretty harmless filter feeders I believe. I use a credit card to knock them off glass.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirorid worms on first pics, harmless. I have thousands in my 120 and sump. they are filter feeders, so no biggie. Just scrape them off the glass like stated above.
Second group of pics is unfortunately GHA or green hair algae and possibly some bryopsis. Sorry... Big pains in the butt unless you catch and fix whats going on early! Try posting your parameters and perhaps someone may have some advice for you on how to properly battle that mess.
Third group look to me like spaghetti worms possibly? Do they move at all? If not, then my ID is probably incorrect on those...

How old is the tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back