Can someone please help me with my hammer coral!!!

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that is

no, that isn’t too much filtration. I’ve never heard of that LOL. What are you testing phosphates with? The reason I ask is because the ideal phosphate for a mixed reef tank is 0.10-0.20 and a test kit reading 0 could mean the phosphates are really 0.9 which is way too high and would definitely make your hammer coral mad.
So 0.9 is higher than 0.10?

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should try some more hardy corals til I can get my tank parameters more stable. Are there any other corals that are less delicate than the hammer? Perhaps maybe a frogspawn? Or torch? Or any other soft corals that are less delicate?

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should try some more hardy corals til I can get my tank parameters more stable. Are there any other corals that are less delicate than the hammer? Perhaps maybe a frogspawn? Or torch? Or any other soft corals that are less delicate?
Tou could try Duncan's I find they are one of the more hardy lps, also I have found torches and frogspawns tend to be more sensitive than hammers especially torches.

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also zoas and plays they are very good at living and thriving in tanks which aren't stable yet, they also grow well, and come in every colour in the rainbow

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have the hammer, and it's a great indicator of water quality as long as it's not being picked at by anything or blasted with flow. I would say you should start looking at your phosphates since you've already ordered the Hanna. Stop making other changes. Don't add things, don't remove things, don't move things around until you have a weeks worth of phosphate measurements, then decide what to do.

If you start making decisions and choices with data and test results instead of reaction, you'll probably find your tank more cooperative.

If you really want to buy something, buy a salifert Nitrate test kit.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to come off in a way that I am not intending, but for the love of god, STOP & SLOW DOWN! I read the first two pages and could not continue reading so I'm sure what I'm going to say has already been said. You're trying to do 10 things all at once. Place the hammer somewhere and leave it alone. You've been moving it around and messing with the flow for the past week. Moving a coral just once will stress it out (hence why they close up and take time to open back up). Stop messing with the flow. Stop adding different kinds of chemical filtration. Stop removing what filtration you already have. Ditch the API and get a good test kit. You can only do so much at once before it becomes detrimental to your tank and its inhabitants. And for future reference, ask questions or check the forum before you choose to add or removing anything (filtration, equipment, coral, fish, etc.) if you are unfamiliar with it

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stop dosing alk and stop wc’s, alk will fall to the desired level. Hammers are about the most hardy lps there is. Just check your phosphates and stop changing things lol

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stop dosing alk and stop wc’s, alk will fall to the desired level. Hammers are about the most hardy lps there is. Just check your phosphates and stop changing things lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back