Can Someone Please Help Me

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys but can someone help me identify this type of 'algae' ? It seems to be on some of my plugs as well as in my zoas.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1767.PNG IMG_1766.PNG IMG_1765.PNG
Best i can do in photos sorry

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 47

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit the plugs with some H2O2, avoiding the polyps as much as possible. Or dilute it and dip them whole.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to see, can you turn your white balance up on your lights so its a little bit easier?
Seems to be on the plugs on some of the skeleton of bubble coral as awell as the sides of the acans.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 38

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like run of the mill GHA. How old is the tank? What are your parameters? Phosphates? PH? How long do you run the lights? All could be contributing factors. Typically, the best way to deal with GHA is a CUC... munch munch munch or manual removal - you could gently scrub the plus with a toothbrush and rinse.... just take care not to harm the polyps.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like run of the mill GHA. How old is the tank? What are your parameters? Phosphates? PH? How long do you run the lights? All could be contributing factors. Typically, the best way to deal with GHA is a CUC... munch munch munch or manual removal - you could gently scrub the plus with a toothbrush and rinse.... just take care not to harm the polyps.
Mill GHA ? Well the tank was setup couple months like 1-3months. Phosphates was 0.32 working it down to .10 . PH 8.1 lights go on at 8am turn off at 6pm. What kind of CUC ? I have 1 fire shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mill GHA ? Well the tank was setup couple months like 1-3months. Phosphates was 0.32 working it down to .10 . PH 8.1 lights go on at 8am turn off at 6pm. What kind of CUC ? I have 1 fire shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp.
Green Hair Algae - it's part of the uglies. This is to be expected in a new tank.... as it matures, everything stabilizes and your CUC grows... it will go away. In the meantime, add some snails... Nitrile and Turbo are good ones....get your phos under control and make sure your lights are ramping up and down. You don't want those lights on full intensity for 10 hours a day. You will be picking this stuff out for a while... it's part of the process.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Hair Algae - it's part of the uglies. This is to be expected in a new tank.... as it matures, everything stabilizes and your CUC grows... it will go away. In the meantime, add some snails... Nitrile and Turbo are good ones....get your phos under control and make sure your lights are ramping up and down. You don't want those lights on full intensity for 10 hours a day. You will be picking this stuff out for a while... it's part of the process.
Ahhh great thanks. Yeah getting my phosphate under control got kinda lazy and everything went haywire. Yeah my lights ramp up and ramp down . Well I have my display been established for about 1-2 years or so. But just started the setup for corals. But I was just going to added them to the tank in the next couple days because I’ll have more time to redo my display and add a sump. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to be anything that would cause a crazy headache in the main display

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh great thanks. Yeah getting my phosphate under control got kinda lazy and everything went haywire. Yeah my lights ramp up and ramp down . Well I have my display been established for about 1-2 years or so. But just started the setup for corals. But I was just going to added them to the tank in the next couple days because I’ll have more time to redo my display and add a sump. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to be anything that would cause a crazy headache in the main display
Nah. my QT gets that too... toothbrush, a little rinse. It's all good. Remember to acclimate from QT to DT... make sure SG, temp, PH, etc. are all the same or drip acclimate when you transfer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
NOT GHA but rather uncommon Gelidium. Many species of short creeping red algae exist so the hobby generally lumps all of them under the heading Gelidium, (the genus that is home to many turf species), and the common name Red Turf Algae, or Red Wiry Algae. Removal can be difficult. Macros that have fragile runners and creep along rocks or plugs are the hardest to manually remove. Do the best you can by using either a small crochet needle or dental pick to remove as best as possible.
Fragments of the algae can spread so make sure to net any pieces that break loose as youre cleaning it off. Yeah I know, it is boring as can be but if you do it once surgically with a dental pick or crochet needle, the problem goes away for good. If you can take the plug out and clean it, all the better. A hard tooth brush may also help.
Cleaners such as Emerald Crabs, urchins or Large turbo snails may help with control.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
for phos control, add a pouch of chemipure blue which will lower PO4 and keep it in check

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOT GHA but rather uncommon Gelidium. Many species of short creeping red algae exist so the hobby generally lumps all of them under the heading Gelidium, (the genus that is home to many turf species), and the common name Red Turf Algae, or Red Wiry Algae. Removal can be difficult. Macros that have fragile runners and creep along rocks or plugs are the hardest to manually remove. Do the best you can by using either a small crochet needle or dental pick to remove as best as possible.
Fragments of the algae can spread so make sure to net any pieces that break loose as youre cleaning it off. Yeah I know, it is boring as can be but if you do it once surgically with a dental pick or crochet needle, the problem goes away for good. If you can take the plug out and clean it, all the better. A hard tooth brush may also help.
Cleaners such as Emerald Crabs, urchins or Large turbo snails may help with control.
Looks green to me but I'll defer to @vetteguy53081 ... same advice though, scrub, pick, rinse. Good luck to you.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks green to me but I'll defer to @vetteguy53081 ... same advice though, scrub, pick, rinse. Good luck to you.
You said green and I went back to instead my PC with a 32" screen and yup- Its green. I saw red stuff representing wire algae. The green is Bryopsis plumosa and guess what - Same removal as others . . . LOL

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis was my first thought as well.
Looks green to me but I'll defer to @vetteguy53081 ... same advice though, scrub, pick, rinse. Good luck to you
So basically scrub and pick it ??

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%

Back