Can someone tell me which is better? Reefbrite XHO vs Quanta Pro - Meso Blue

KillicK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has covered this comparison and I can't find much information on Quanta lights. I was wondering which one to buy for my 90 gallon tank any thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No one has covered this comparison and I can't find much information on Quanta lights. I was wondering which one to buy for my 90 gallon tank any thoughts?
ReefBrite XHO lives up to its name . Very good PAR and light distribution

Sixdinnersquid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering about pricing for the suite of Reefbrite products. Where might a person buy them in the PNW? Their webpage's dealer search function appears to be down.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quanta has a much wider spectrum. However, you might get less of color separation with the reef brite as the BRS video and guys mentioned it has a more t5 appearence where as the quanta looks like orpheks without ripping you a new one for costs

OP
OP
K

KillicK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video but wanted more of the view point from buyers. The creator of the video is the person who started quanta correct? Having more data from quanta customers would help!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major difference with RB is there are no reflectors lenses. This means much better spread, can be hung at any height. The 50/50 is great. I prefer RB, I went with multiple lumi light fixtures for more spread.

Also I thought reefers were starting to understand that ‘more par’ is not ‘more better’.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would go with quantareef just for the spectrum. I have a pair of populargrow led on my tank. They are very similar, but not the same. Granted that I have only two led colors in those bars, I do not see any light separation while hung 8.5” above the waterline.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major difference with RB is there are no reflectors lenses. This means much better spread, can be hung at any height. The 50/50 is great. I prefer RB, I went with multiple lumi light fixtures for more spread.

Also I thought reefers were starting to understand that ‘more par’ is not ‘more better’.

Even the well respected ones on here tend to gloss over the absolute basics of light and physics. Same diodes, driven around the same power, cooling aside, will deliver the same amount of photons. The reefbrite just seem to deliver lower par because those same number of photons are delivered over a larger area, so any given reading will obviously be lower. The AliE variants have lenses. The light is focused. The par sensor will catch more photons in a smaller area. It’s pretty simple.

Now….the reefbrite are criminally over priced and the build quality does not reflect that price point. Nor does the spectral composition, but that is a different topic. I agree though, reading the “the par these create is insane!” Comments is puzzling. That translates to, “these have really tight lenses and should probably be mounted pretty high off the water”. The visual grids of par data confirm that.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that the Quanta bars are using 120 degree lenses. I am not sure of that is correct or not. I believe that Orphek uses 90 degree lenses in the OR3 bars. I ordered an OR3 bar and had them specifically remove all the lenses as it was intending to be a fill in for the missing UV and violet in the LumiLed Pro bars that I was pairing it with.

What would be a great upgrade, in my opinion, is if Quanta switched to a machined reflector like the Straton Pro and Reefi use. Assuming the LED positions are the same between their different colour combinations, they would only need 4 different reflector patterns for the 4 bar sizes they offer. That would help to spread the PAR and reduce shadowing.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video but wanted more of the view point from buyers. The creator of the video is the person who started quanta correct? Having more data from quanta customers would help!

No, that is not the creator of the lights. That video is @CowboyCorals, lights designed/made by @Lousybreed

i have a small XHO supplementing a hydra 32 over a 40g cube...really dont like it. Pretty sure ill be doing quantas on my 200.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KillicK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the biggest issue with XHO is the price tag.

3 foot blue LED
1 XHO $266.27
1 Quanta $160

For 2 XHO (532.54) you could buy the 4 Quanta ($640) to setup a tank. If you all agreed that XHO are amazing similar to a kessil vs other lights. I would slowly save up money to buy the XHO instead.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without a doubt, Quanta Pro meso blue blows xho out of the water all day long. In fact, comparing xho combined with Orphek OR2 blue plus, the meso blue beats both. I had two 3' xho's and three 2' OR2's over my temp tank and took some measurements, then mounted two 3' meso blues and just the two meso blues outperformed the xho's and Orpheks combined. They had much better par, spread and color blending. If you're serious about using bars as your main source or adding to your current lighting setup, I would put Quanta's on top of that list. Xho's are good, but they are way overpriced for what they are.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the biggest issue with XHO is the price tag.

3 foot blue LED
1 XHO $266.27
1 Quanta $160

For 2 XHO (532.54) you could buy the 4 Quanta ($640) to setup a tank. If you all agreed that XHO are amazing similar to a kessil vs other lights. I would slowly save up money to buy the XHO instead.

Kessil are far from the best led, I would rank them quite low actually as standalone lights.

Both bars are good, they are just used differently, XHO for shadows and filling in, anything else with lense you need more of for the same coverage.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A772C13C-904B-45D1-936A-36A3C16A77D9.jpeg
Here are two 3’ Meso blues covering 48x29

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quanta meso blues and an addon kit for the a360x. the quantas put out considerably more par than the reefbrites although its not a direct comparison

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wasn't under that impression but I could be wrong

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quanta has a much wider spectrum. However, you might get less of color separation with the reef brite as the BRS video and guys mentioned it has a more t5 appearence where as the quanta looks like orpheks without ripping you a new one for costs
Hmmm. . . Aren’t the orpheks and quanta lights the same cost?

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no lenses does mean better (wider) spread, but doesnt mean they can be hung at any height. that wide spread means mounting them too high will lose too much par.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back