Can u overdose carbon?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt realize theres specific dosage for tanks measurement for aquariums. So i put this bag in my sump its a 200G with 150G water volume.

Is that a lot?

IMG_5794.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when you hear about the amount of carbon to add it’s referring to carbon dosing (a liquid food source for bacteria) not activated carbon. You’re fine to add as much activated carbon as you want to the tank.
What about HLE and horror stories i hears about carbon?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t over dose but you can cause problems if you use to much.. it will strip the water fast leading to better light penetration and frying stuff or ticking off your corals over all.. it can also cause hlle in fish such as tangs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE from carbon was from Lignite carbon that was not washed and in fish only systems. It appears that if you wash it, have lots of filtration, or use another kind that there is no issue. I have used carbon in most of my tanks since 1992 and never had any HLLE issue, but I do rinse it and don't let it tumble. Ironically, I did have A. Bahanius (the fish in the study) in a tank that never had GAC on it and it did get a bit of HLLE.

Using GAC in a bag in a sump is not all that efficient. It will likely cover in organics before all of the pores will be filled up with stuff.

If you used that much in a reactor, then you could strip too much, but we don't know if 1/10th of that amount would also strip too much either.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t over dose but you can cause problems if you use to much.. it will strip the water fast leading to better light penetration and frying stuff or ticking off your corals over all.. it can also cause hlle in fish such as tangs.

If your tank has so much oxidation and tannins that carbon clears the water to the point of frying coral, you had way bigger problems.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bas
I didnt realize theres specific dosage for tanks measurement for aquariums. So i put this bag in my sump its a 200G with 150G water volume.

Is that a lot?

IMG_5794.jpeg
based on your hand size, looks about right, I use a bit more than that on a 180g for 5 years, changed monthly, 4 large tangs now 5 years old and going.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back